Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Fitting Larger brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

I have been running these wheels and tyres now for a number of months, but yes I added a 20mm spacer. The plan is to modify the front wing to accommodate the new wheel / tyre position. It did not touch before, but it may well do as it is now. I have not been on the road yet, but I think that currently it will rub on things. Nothing that can't be quite easily sorted. Same with the bumper. Just some local fettling to do. It will all work out.

Jeremy,

Yep, I certainly don't target potholes, but saying that it is not too bad. Remember it is not a daily driver. The body / wheel position is not final yet, it is just where things ended up once I lowered the car off the jack.

Paul,

Don't really care what the speedo says Smile more interested in what the rev counter is saying! As regards acceleration, well, I am not sure about bigger wheels reducing acceleration - but I guess they do. The way to overcome that is more torque and power. At 170+ hp and 142 ft lbs things are heading in the right direction, but still looking forward to when the supercharged engine is fitted. 200hp+ should spin them up pretty fast Very Happy Very Happy
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this be like the car you had at Donington all those years ago? Smile
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

No, it is a different one. It is pretty similar in many ways, except it is black as opposed to red, but under the skin it is very much the same car. It even has some of the same parts.

With the earlier red car, after a number of track days I eventually damaged the engine, broke most of the car for bits and sold it all off. In the last few years I decided to do it all again. So, bought a race car, returned it to the road. New engine, paint, other parts and so on.

The previous red one still lives on, but is sorned somewhere in the midlands, and parts that were on it are on this one, but they are not the same car.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was how I bought it:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk318/edwardgurhy/CIMG2601_zps05fac535.jpg

This is how it is now:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk318/edwardgurhy/IMG_2323_zps6a7dcqet.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk318/edwardgurhy/IMG_2324_zps41vodtyi.jpg

Still a long way to go.....
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not the same car. I remember when the engine let go with Dave Peters in the car. Bill smith lent you a pepperpot exhaust end because your side exhaust was so loud and when you gave it back to him it was half ground away! Smile
Who towed you to the services then Question
Did you fix the engine after that or did it get put out to pasture then?
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, yep, sorry you are right, but it was late last night when I read your note and didn't quite read it properly.

I can't remember who towed me to the services. I think it may have been someone like Harry & Gary (Bianco) or even possibly Bill. It was a few years ago and that bit I don't recall.

I didn't fix the engine. I sold it all off and someone put it back together. Then interestingly I came up for sale again a couple of years ago. Somebody on AO had it for sale, but it was in bits again. I was looking for an engine, saw one for sale and I thought hmmm that looks familiar. After seeing a few more photos it was definitely my old one. I was tempted to buy it back, as it was pretty cheap, but decided to start over with all new parts. So, a set of brand new and expensive JE pistons arrived from the US and off we went again.

Last time, the engine managed 169HP on Mek Motorsport rolling road and this time around I spend a fair amount of effort and money to try and improve on that. Excitingly took to car to Mek rolling road..... and the car made .... wait for it ... 170HP. Oh well!
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edward

Have you got the specs on the bracket to fit the coupe calipers please . Plus your old engine is sitting on the shelf Wink

Cheers John

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has to be the slowest burner on any forum on the WWW.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a pretty slow post.

Well, what I can tell you is that my brackets are up and running and have been for a while.

One thing though, is that I have noticed that when the brakes get hot, and I mean really hot, (castle Coombe track day hot) the rotor expands enough for it to touch the calliper. I have made another bracket for the one that was too close and am going to test it shortly. I have another track day at Castle Coombe on the 27 Feb 17.

If it passes the test that day then I can get them measured and CNC'd. That way I can reproduce them at will.

Leave it with me for a couple of weeks and I will update here - on this incredibly slow thread. Smile
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Ok cheers Edward. I'm still on a mission welding. So brakes are in the distance . But I'm getting bits together Cool

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: