Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

What's everyone up to?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: What's everyone up to? Reply with quote

As it's gone a bit quiet here I thought I'd ask what everyone's been up to 33 wise?

I've been busy with my 33 and have recently done the cambelts and tensioners (Dayco and SKF), and replaced the throttle body gaskets and spacer on one side as I suspected an air leak that caused one plug to melt last year.

I've started a wheel refurb process too and have so far got one wheel (fake split rim) stripped and cleaned up (took hours and hours!) ready for paint on the next free sunny day, then clear coat...

Hoping to be taking the 33 to Brooklands at the end of the month- might even have one or two sparkly wheels by then.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
08 GT 2.0JTS Black (Mrs's)
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, I'm going to Brooklands and taking my wife for the 1st time to the event, might go in the 33 or the wife's 500 Abarth dependant on weather.

I have just cut and fitted some rear door cards made from Carbon Fibre and jeeezus that stuff makes you itch, i was wearing face mask and goggles but it gets through your clothes.

Engine and carbs been cleaned out and re-tuned so is currently running sweet and took it out for a Southern Alfa meet which was only 10 mins away from my house. Got to see the new Guilia Quadrofoglio up close and thinks its not as nice looking as I thought (very high bonnet) and sadly looks too similar to a certain German M car.

Been thinking of fitting a 16v engine keeping the carbs for the sake of saving costly conversion but no one seems to have a spare engine and fleabay only shows older 8v units at the mo. I really would prefer a 16v thats not been sat either or at least turns over by hand.

May bump into you at Brooklands. Take it you will be taking your family?.
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

Hopefully bump into you at Brooklands, i'll certainly look for your 33.

I'll be with my son and maybe Wife and Dad. She went for the 1st time last year (we were in her Alfa GT) and she didn't hate it. It was really busy last year and I think you have to get there very early to get on the banking now.

My Dad's had a 595 Abarth for a year now and loves it. I've only been a passenger in it a couple of times but it's much nicer than his old 500 sport 100hp. The ride in that was way too harsh and when I drove it once I struggled to overtake a motorhome- felt more like a 60hp car.

Cheers,

John
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 33 is so reliable and I understand its foibles so well that I now rarely need to ask advice here Smile

However, it would be a shame if the forum were to close due to lack of use, so I continue to look in regularly in case I can help someone or see something deserving comment.
Johnpm1967
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nearly finished a complete rebuild of the spare engine for my sons 33. I will post some picks soon. He has just gone back to Uni but loved 2 weeks being able to drive the 33 particularly as his new girl friend is also a petrol head. A couple of knocks to track down at the back but other than that it goes really well.

It needs the nearside rear arch cutting out and replacing and a complete respray but this means it being off the road and is a big job so will have to wait.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have 2 project on the go at the moment.

Black car: took it to Castle Combe in February and one of the pistons let go, so big end went through the bonnet. So...

1. took the engine out but unfortunately it was 1800cc - so currently trying to ask how much JE would want for a single piston. (I am holding my sides ready in anticipation.) May slowly rebuild that engine and probably do another 1800cc engine - but with carbs. That therefore is a really slow burner project. Seeing as I have all the bits, except a crank and rod / piston I may as well slowly build it all back together again. I have no real obvious place to put it (i.e. car) so will just build it slowing into an 1800 carb engine - otherwise I have loads of bits sat round doing nothing.

2. Fitted large Brembo brakes - but they still get hot on track days, so Alex kindly sorted me some back plates, which I am going to work into a scheme to improve the ducted cooling to the discs / callipers.

3. Continue fitting the supercharged engine. Main engine is now in, with its lower compression pistons, but have a slight concern over cam timing - so trying to find one of the cam locking tools. Proving to be a bit elusive. Once I can do that I can re-fit the supercharger and move things slowly forward.

4. Repair and paint the fibreglass bonnet that has a big-end sized hole in it. Hmm...

5. Fit my switches that came out of Tornado Jet. I have found that there are now lots of Tornado parts available over the web (apparently we don't use Tornado's anymore Smile ) and they do have some really funky controls and switches. Everything is 24v - but that is no big problem. Went and got my bits from a Tornado grave yard. An interesting day that was.

Red Car:

After its stand-in trip earlier this month to Spa, where it drove there, flat out (Saturday), did a track day on the Monday and drove all the way back to Bristol on the same day, it is away at the moment, having the most super duper new exhaust being fitted. I have some photos of the partial install, but I am waiting for it to get a little further on before any 'reveal'. Smile So...

1. Continue with new super duper exhaust installation.

2. The car has a fantastic AHM engine in it, which absolutely loved Spa. The engine and 'box will come out before too long and go onto the stand as a spare for the black car. The exhaust when done will also go on the black car. The red car will then eventually have its original exhaust put back. This is all happening because the black car is off the road at the moment. Once that is done, the (Red) rolling shell is going to Alex who is going to be the new owner.

3. Track days. Having attended 3 track days recently in both 33's - the only one that has a running engine is the red one - so that is going to continue to seek out inexpensive track days for the foreseeable future until the other plans above have moved forward.

4. Find a set of wheels to match the black car. I have found out just how good real track / race tyres are, so am currently looking for a set of matching wheels that will go on the red car, for the time being, but with track day tyres, that will eventually also find there way as track day wheel / tyre combo for the black car. No point trashing decent road tyres on a track car. The wheels I am after are from a Fiat Multipla 6 spoke if anyone happens to see some.

5. Once the exhaust is done, remove the tiny fuel tank, as the new exhaust routing will assist - and put a full size tank back in. Started to get fuel starvation at Spa after some decent running and a larger / baffled tank is what it really needs.

So.... all in all, lots happening. In case the above is confusing, the simple plan is to have the black car as the main, only, single 33 with all the good bits on it. It will have the supercharged engine, with the super duper exhaust, the AHM engine on the stand, for when I finally blow up the supercharged engine and another 1800cc carb engine slowly being built up in the background. One car - 3 engine - why not. Smile

ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Been busy keeping my 33 alive.
Replaced fuel pressure regulator
Replaced lambda sond
Had to track down a wiring harness fault which caused one of the ignition coils to quit operating from time to time (scary on the highway!)
Replaced fuel filter and hoses with quick disconnect couplings
Currently manufacturing a new battery cable as the positive terminal is failing
Will replace strut bearings as I suspect the clunking noise is related
Need to put on summer tires

Endless list but my 33 is now 26yr old and needs constant care - still it's my daily commute and i'd want no other!

Cheers
zp
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my mot at the end of the month, so a few things;
strutpan bearings
rear shoes, decided to do a rear disk conversion instead
ECU not idling when warm, was fine after remap to pass emissions, not now.
Dantino in Argentina

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody
My 33 16v quadrifoglio verde runs nice.
I found a yellow plug in the Ecu side, it is intended for a cat car and my car has no cat, I don't know if it was fitted at factory or if the cat was removed. No traces of lambda connection in the wire loom nor in the Ecu connector.
I took off the relay shaped yellow plug (without any plug it is set for 98 ron and no cat) so I use 98 ron gasoline (expensive !) and the cars runs ok and no knocking almost, some days it knocks a little and some days it runs so smooth like having ignition timing retarded. A very sensible car indeed I already learned to live with my car.
It just turned 200,000 kms on the clock and it works fine.
Some days ago while manoeuvering while parking in reverse I heard a noise, something like a hissing while turning left in reverse. I got out of the car and I found the tyre rubbing again the plastic inside fender cover. The wheel could be moved back and forward about 1.5 cm, had to take the wheel out and I found that one of the four bolts that hold the knuckle to the shock absorber was missing and of the other three only the upper one could be tightened, the other two had ruined threads (both the knuckle and the bolts).
I had to put a bolt with a nut in the lower nut hole and now I'm trying to find a knuckle in good conditions (someone who has a parts car nearby will sell me the part in a couple of days). My car is a 16 v with ventilated brake rotors and the parts car is an 8v without ventilated brake rotors, but I presume that the knuckle is the same.
The car is 25 years old, I know it needs some care, but it is my daily driver and I like it, it is one of the few left roadworthy, almost all the other cars I see are left on the street when they break down. Maybe you can find a running one once or twice in a year.
I love this site and I always look at it, something like a Bible haha.
Good wishes to all 33ers around the world.
Dantino
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The former post was written by me, but I hadn't log in ... this head of mine ... sorry guys.
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found those threads stripped out on my first 33. Caused by incorrectly dismantling the assembly without clamping the springs to take the load off the hub, so that the bolts don't line up properly when reassembling, and some thick, ham fisted "mechanic" just forced the bolts in.

I repaired the stripped threads with Helicoils (or similar), and fitted new bolts as necessary, a fairly easy job.
Johnpm1967
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have now finished the rebuild on the engine. All seals replaced, big end bearings, piston rings (2 were broken), valves cleaned and reground plus all decoked, cleaned painted etc. Plus new belts. Oh yes and new oil pump as the other had broken.

All turns lovely and so I am going to build a cradle to bench test it.
Hope pics attach ok.

John

[/img]
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine looks fantastic Very Happy
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Very Happy

My last post has been a long time ago. My 33 has died. So i replaced it with a Corsa B TD, so i could save a bit in fuel prices. (Also i moved to another house, that is a bit far from my work, so diesel was the way to go).
So after 6 months without a 33, i started to look for another, and bought one restoration project, without even seeing the car. When i saw what i was in to, i decided to buy another one. I still have the "project" car, now called donnor car and a black S16v Q.V. (the donnor is also a S16v).
For a while it was my weekend car, but having to drive the Corsa all week long, was a bit boring. So i replaced the Corsa with a 156 JTD 16v sportwagon, so i could have a bit fun, but keeping the low costs of diesel.
In the end, the 33 is not used much, only to attend meetings, or eventually a track day.
My wife, doesnt like the 33 (i think my driving has something to do with it).
Sadly, the long immobilization has taken its toll. Last time i drove it, i noticed the temperature rising, although not reaching critical temperatures, but the coolant shows signs of mixed oil.
I think its time for head gasket changing, but i can't find time to start the job.

All the best
Paulo Camilo
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Still around, but barely looked at the 33s for ages. Too much else to do and trying to cut down on projects.

Current daily driver is an MX5.

All the best

Katy
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still going with my grey series 2 Very Happy
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trofeo is still going strong as my wife's "daily drive", although only used maybe once or twice a week, as we now live opposite a small supermarket.
She finds the Audi too big for her and more difficult to park, and I'm happy to just use that for longer trips, it's more comfortable than the Alfa, after all, and automatic, so I also use the Alfa around the town we live in.

It is only driven a couple of km's to local places too far for us to walk to these days, so we have to take it for a longer drive now and again to warm it up a bit more, but only a max of 50 km or so.

It passed its biannual CT (= MOT test) with flying colours after I repaired the rear brake control valve in Feb 2016, and is due again next Feb. The brakes still feel great (better than I ever remember them actually). I will be changing the fluid again, which I try to do every 2 years, prior to the test, and have already fitted a new timing belt kit and vee belts, flushed out the cooling system when I found the heater matrix blocked, and put in new antifreeze solution. I use VW G13 permanent antifreeze in all my vehicles now.

There is an increase in activity on the forum today, maybe due to the bad weather keeping people in?

A Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum