Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Clonkety, clonk, clonk.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Clonkety, clonk, clonk. Reply with quote

Dear all
I have just got back from a trip to the Bordeaux region of south west France in the Minari.
Before I left I had been complaining of a nasty clonking noise as power was applied on moving off and also when braking to a final stopping. I have no idea what this is due to, the wheel bearings don’t rumble when jacked up and the wheels turned, nor can I feel any roughness from the bearings when turning the hub with the wheels off. There isn't any noise detectable from the drive shaft constant velocity joints. However the noise appeared to be reproduced when I jacked the side up (via the body) to check the wheels, I wondered if it could be the ball race steering bearing under the front springs, the pan bearing? Or could it be the bushes in the forward and rearward suspension arms? I doubt it is the former as it isn’t dependant on steering input, thus at the moment I ‘favour’ the suspension arm bushes.
Has anyone any idea as to the cause of the noise please.

Thanks
Dave
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many things from 33 does Minari have, but on 33 it would be.
Bearings under springs would make clonk or crunching sound everytime you would turn wheels to full lock and back on stand still.
It can be any number of things from shocks, or maybe spring.
Antiroll bar bushes are also know to make plonk.
But seams like it could be engine mounts, usually in this order side mount, top mount, lower mounts
If it's nothing of that, that you might check condition of your bonnet if it's cracked/unwelded or when chasis sways rubing on wheel arches.
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Re Clonkety etc Reply with quote

Hi Tino.
The Minari is an all fibre glass monococque therefore no separate chassis. the suspension front and rear is taken directly from the 33 and is used exactly as it was originally, as is the engine and gearbox. I only hear (and feel?) the clonking as I start from a stop and as I come to a stop again. It appears to happen in the first and last one metre of travel. I don't think it can be the strut pan bearing as it happens when the wheels are straight ahead and no steering is applied.
The bonnet is a huge one piece moulding.
I will certainly check the anti roll bar and the engine mounts.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dave
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Clonkety etc Reply with quote

Dave

I had some play and noise in the front end that suggested a wheel bearing or steering rack. The strut pan bearings had been replaced last year. I replaced all the suspension bushes and the problem went away.

Good luck in your search.
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken
I will give that a try.
Dave
philk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i had exaxctly the same prob !!!!!. My mechanic took the hub off and found out water had seaped into the hub and through normal wear and tear all the teeth marks were eroded. Put a new hub in every thing finf. Bearings were good as like yours. Hope that helps.
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, I have plenty to think about, (and do) when I get time to 'play with baby'.
I will let the group know how I get on.
Dave
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. I certainly won't be playing today, high summer in England, and it is chucking it down.
I suppose it is good for the garden though!
Dave
agha33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about your brake pads? Are they OK?
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised an update on my search for the clonking noise.
I checked all the items suggested here and in the Minari owners club, plus a few more besides, but I found nothing wrong.
My Minari never had the short tie/steady bar from the cylinder to the chassis. So, I made a mounting up, so I could use the original steady bar and rubber bushes. I took the car for a run and though it appeared to be cured, the noise 'came back' after a while. Was it my imagination or was the noise less?
I will have to have another look at the front engine mounting. Or give it more loud pedal.

Why is nothing simple except me?
Dave
mark pollard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: clonk clonk Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Thought I recognised the car. How about a visit to Devon for a possible diagnosis and a few beers? Let me know on my usual email.
Cheers,
Mark
Dave (Minari)
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re Clonkety clonk GONE Reply with quote

Dear All
I promised an up date on the clonking from my Minari.
I recently had a play session with the car and with the bonnet off, the rad and the cross member off, I noticed cracks in the front engine mounting between the rubber and the lower plate. I couldn't see these when I 'just inspected' it ages ago. I also noticed that the cross member mounting bolt were a little loose.
After my play time was over, I replaced the engine mounting and ensured the cross member was tight and during a nice (if cold) run today I didn't hear the clonking at all. Hooray.
Thanks to all who offered advice.
Dave
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me of that one, always forget the crossmember as a culprit for front end noises, did have the same problem on a Golf Gti and it took me ages to get round to tweeking the crossmember bolts, tried everything else first! That cured it permanently.

Regards
Chris
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: