Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

AROCNZ

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Australia & New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: AROCNZ Reply with quote

Are any of the New Zealanders here members of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of New Zealand (AROCNZ)? Any attending the next Auckland monthly meeting?
Auckland meetings are "3rd Tuesday of the month, Horse & Trap Tavern, 3 Enfield Rd, Mt Eden. 7.30pm"

I'm not a member, I'm tossing up whether to show up and whether to join.

-Ben
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben
Not a member myself yet. Must get around to it. Unfortunately most Tuesdays I'm tied up with our local adult riding club(horses) which makes it awkward. Let me know how you find it.
Regards Eddie
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned up to the meeting and at 24 years old, I would have been a contender for youngest person there. They applauded me for demonstrating my foolishness in switching from Mitsubishi to Alfa Romeo. Rolling Eyes
This being the first meeting of the year, the secretary dude went through what events were currently planned and asked for input as to what else should be added to the calendar. They do a big variety of things, ranging from the too-classy-for-me (wine trails, attending wine/food festivals and I heard a mention of bottanical gardens) to the much-more-like-it (go karts, random weekend overnight trips, motorkhanas, circuit racing (including driver training and opportunity for beginners to have a go), night rallies, four wheel biking, stuff like that).
They also had news on the Trofeo racing series, Alfa's Touring Car success, merchandise for sale etc.. I'd have bought myself a keyring or something but I didn't think to bring convenient change. No guest speaker this time but often one is organised.
The meeting cost me $3 to attend (covering room hire and the monthly raffle), and no doubt I shall receive info about membership and fees shortly. Cool
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: driver training Reply with quote

all you NZers should come to March and May maddness at Taupo. I went to the driver training / club racing and it was great fun to get my car on the track. Lots to be learnt.

Dave
Matty Dog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dates, Dave?

I'll be there if the testing station comes to the party and gives me a new VIN without too many hassles.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I've just joined the club.
It came highly recommended from several sources.
Good website too: http://www.arocnz.org.nz/

Cheers,
Matthew
'90 series 2 33 16 Valve
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is on the AROCNZ site under racing and then calendar. I took my car on gravel for the first time today up the remarkables access road and it handled beautifully, great fun to drift and opposite lock it and then power out of the corners. not much understeer at all. try it some time.

Dave
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Ben... I'm a member of AROC and I'm still only 21. Didn't find age much of a problem when I was still living in the Manawatu, but now that I've shifted to Christchurch, it's seemed to have made things a bit different, with the Christchurch AROC seeming a little reluctant to accept someone a bit younger, and also having the appearance of a boy racer I suppose.

And yeah, May Madness is well worth attending, is it being held at Taupo this year because of the damage to manfeild caused by the flooding?
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 21 and found the NI crowd to be very accepting which is cool. I had a drive around wellington tonight with another 33 which was cool. It would be good to get a group together and go on a road trip sometime. May Madness should be good fun too. What are the alfas like down in Chch? There seem to be plenty of 33s in welly and i saw a s1 sud today. nice. Ciao
Matty Dog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 24 and have just joined. Haven't been to any meetings or events yet, but the people I've met so far seem like good sorts.

A friend and I, who have both bought 16V 33s in the last couple of months, went for a great drive on some winding country roads an Saturday and were buzzing all afternoon!

There's an open-day at Manfeild on the 30th of May.
[/url]http://www.manfeild.co.nz/eventinfo.asp?EventID=291[url]
Show up and pay $10 for 10 or 15 minutes driving around the track.
No helmet or anything required, just a WoF.
I'm keen to find out how my car goes on the track.
There are 2 of us taking 33s up at this stage and there are also guys with a Sud Sprint, a Fiat Abarth 130TC and a Peugeot 306 XSi who are coming too. Anyone else care to come and wave the Italian (etc.) flag, so to speak?
If a few people from Wellington are interested, we could do Paekak Hill on the way as a warm-up.

Matthew
'90 33 series 2 16V
Wellington[/url]
Matty Dog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another go at the above URL.
http://www.manfeild.co.nz/eventinfo.asp?EventID=291
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... the Alfas down here are mostly in pretty good condition. The climate down here I suppose is a lot less humid than up North, so less moisture all round really. There's a bunch of us that get around in near identical S3 Sud Ti's, one with the standard Campantura 13"s, one with a set of ROH Spider 13"s (same as my old 14"s) and me with the comparitively giant 15"s! All silver Ti's, quite a sight when travelling in convoy! (and what a sound Very Happy ) And hey.. someone else who's discovered the Sud/33's ability to be lots of fun on gravel, I used to take mine up the road to the windmills (Tararua ranges) back in Palmy.

Matt... you're pretty keen going to an open day. When the drift craze started setting in, I stopped going to them, too many idiots in cars that have WAY too much power, going twce as fast as me, not really in control.
I think what stopped me going to them was when I was exiting Coke, I glanced in my rear view mirror, and saw a JZA80 Supra twin turbo gaioning on me at twice the speed I was .... sideways Shocked I had to pull off the track to avoid the thing... scary. I would at least recommend a helmet for it, and make sure you increase your tyre pressures, the amount of people who have gone out to open days and not done this... resulting on tyres rolled off the rim and cars ending up on their lid!

Cheers,
Richard
Matty Dog
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to a couple of open days before, but not since the drift-craze was in its early days. Just one Japanese student going very sideways in Syliva. I asked him to take me for a ride around the track and it was a fantastic experience.

The tip about the tyres is a good one. I picked that up pretty quickly. I think the organisers even recommended it. The other key thing seems to be using new brake fluid as braking power is significantly reduced after about the second lap.

Anyway, I'm pretty keen to have a go and I've promised my girlfriend's 9 year old brother a ride around the track, I'll give it a go and just pull off if it doesn't seem safe.
Shouldn't have a problem borrowing a helmet.

Cheers,
Matthew
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt, which 16v are u driving around in? i will keep my eyes open. I am in a s2 pearl/champange 33 usally in central wellington. give me a yell if you are going up for may madness on the 1st. should be good times. some good driving around wellington. later
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go to March Madness because I'm not a proper AROC member yet (membership year starts in April?) and I only learnt about it a week or two beforehand. Decided it wasn't enough time to go out and buy helmet, overalls, fire extinguisher and get the car up to standard.
I'd really like to get the whole brake system and clutch/gearbox looked at and serviced/repaired before going on the track, but I'm afraid of what it may cost me to fix stuff that isn't technically broken yet. =|
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the driver training day in december and just turned up and introduced myself to some of the guys. I borrowed a helmet and paid my $40 had my wof checked and then hit the track. It was great fun even though it was extremely wet resulting in more than a few hairy moments like aqua planing at 100 down the front straight, and understeering out of the first corner. Once the track dried up, i was up to pace with squealing family tyres and all. The racing guys commented on my "enthusiastic" driving. Highly recommended.

Dave
ricardo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ben i do the pic site for the trofeo series .... click on the link below... and join
as you can see there are plenty of standard cars there , just give the car a quick check over and get on the track .. you can improve it later ,and on the track u will quickly figure it's weak point's and where to start...

alfatrofeo blog and interesting stuff .... unofficial ....
http://alfatrofeo.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Australia & New Zealand All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: