Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

ticking valve tappet on 16V, wich oil and little idling prob

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: ticking valve tappet on 16V, wich oil and little idling prob Reply with quote

Hi,

I now have my 16V for about a week and noticed that there's a hydraulic valve tappet ticking on the right front (seen from inside the car). As it has new ones for only 4000 km don't really'd like to open the head to put in new one(s). So I wonder if any of you guys has experience on the use of the oil system cleaners you can add to the oil just before you put in fresh oil.
I've used it on my 8V and worked pretty well but I don't know if the 16V is evenly rockhard as my dear little 8V. And wich oil best to use? Now it has duckhams 20W50 oil from the garage I've bought it from. I allways used marly 10W40 with graphite additive in my 8V and never gave me a single problem. Any advice on this???

Please help someon who comes from a nast little 8V and has fear from the much more sensitive 16V (as is my first impression).
Also some idling probs, idling at 1500 sometimes when hot or dancing between 900-1200rpm. Seams like false air or is it the lambda-regulation?

Regards!

Paul D. New to 16V
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think that the 20W50 grade oil isn't correct for the 16v... It should run on Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic 10W40... as indicated in the book. Just use a good quality brand Wink like BP or something. I'm using BP Visco 5000 (5W40) and the car runs great, and I hardly hear any tappet noises... (I only hear it when the car is parked for several days, and only for 2 or 3 seconds)

All the bEST

Sérgio
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: thx! Reply with quote

That's what I thought too, so next oil change (probably an early one) gonna add some tappet cleaner and put in semi synthetic 10W40 Marly again as it never let me down.

Regards and thx!

Paul D.
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 20w50 oil is not right for self adjust valves,new oil ( 10w-40) as soon as possible.
ns

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ticking valve tappet on 16V, wich oil and little idling Reply with quote

Hi, Paul

I have exactly the same problem in my 33 1.7 16v - ticking on cold engine - and don't know what I can to do with it. I added hydraulic valve lifter concentrate (Wynn's) before changing oil (it was 10w40), after 300-400 km ticking became not so hard as before, but after changing oil (Castrol Formula RS SAE 0w40) the problem came back Sad.

Also - iddling - ???. If you have solved these problem, please write solution.

NS.

alfistjen wrote:
Hi,

I now have my 16V for about a week and noticed that there's a hydraulic valve tappet ticking on the right front (seen from inside the car). As it has new ones for only 4000 km don't really'd like to open the head to put in new one(s). So I wonder if any of you guys has experience on the use of the oil system cleaners you can add to the oil just before you put in fresh oil.
I've used it on my 8V and worked pretty well but I don't know if the 16V is evenly rockhard as my dear little 8V. And wich oil best to use? Now it has duckhams 20W50 oil from the garage I've bought it from. I allways used marly 10W40 with graphite additive in my 8V and never gave me a single problem. Any advice on this???

Please help someon who comes from a nast little 8V and has fear from the much more sensitive 16V (as is my first impression).
Also some idling probs, idling at 1500 sometimes when hot or dancing between 900-1200rpm. Seams like false air or is it the lambda-regulation?

Regards!

Paul D. New to 16V
ns
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ticking valve tappet on 16V, wich oil and little idling Reply with quote

Sorry, It was Lyqui Moly cleaning hydraulic lifters.

NS.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: