Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

best fuel for my 1985 33 1.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Australia & New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard brenchley
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: best fuel for my 1985 33 1.5 Reply with quote

Hi -I'm new to Alfas, just bought a late 1985 33 (1.5 dual carb). I'm not too tech-literate either, so forgive me any naivities please!

What's the best fuel for my (fantastic) 'new' car? I don't think it has any unleaded fuel mods, so should I be using an additive, or what octane unleaded is OK?

what about higher octane fuel with blended ethanol -is this safe or a worry?

any help very gratefully received.....

Richard
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Here is what Alfa Romeo Australia says about ethanol fuels
http://www.alfaromeo.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=622

Here is an article from the RACQ about pre 1986 vehicles
http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cms_production/hs.xsl/Motoring_Maint_Repairs_Foun_factsheet_unleaded_petrol_ENA_HTML.htm

And more specifically
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/unleaded.htm

Hope that helps
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Suitable Fuel Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

It has been a LONG while since I last visited this site. No longer having a 33 I guess has been one reason.

Your late 85 model would be a straight leaded version and unlikely to have been converted to ULP - you'd know from the fuel inlet port.

Ethanol (10%) is not recommended for a lot of older leaded cars, the 85 33s included.

You would need to use such products as Valvemaster as an additive with ULP. The 33 you have would be most unhappy to run on pure 91 or 95 RON. The link Scott has below, showing a copy of an AR letter identifying the fuel category of your vehicle should help - assuming the car was serviced by an AR dealer!
burbank
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
first time poster here.

We've had our `85 33 (1.5, 4wd wagon, not sure of the month off the top of my head) for a while now. Bought it off the in laws. They'd been running it on high octane UL. We've been doing the same.

There's no pinging and it chugs along alright. I havent touched the timing - the in laws used to get it serviced regularly, so assumed that side of things was all good.

Am I about to drop a valve??

cheers
G
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Fuel use Reply with quote

Hi G.

If the car is running ok with the premium fuel, then ther should be no problem. It can be one if the car spends a lot of its time in an urban setting (away from open roads) where the slower speeds and higher temperatures (because of standing idle for extended periods) can lead to valve damage, but this is less common if the cooling system of the car is efficient. THis can vary greatly with the 85 33s.

Bottom line - you probably will not drop a valve! (read: no guarantee given here!).

Chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Australia & New Zealand All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: