Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16V revs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: 16V revs Reply with quote

Anyone know what the safe max rpm is you can use before followers pump up?. Are they safe at higher rpm for short bursts? Which Renault Clio engine has the solid followers that you can replace them with?. Ideally want to rev to 8000 - 8500. Any ideas/ help. Rolling Eyes
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I think that the clio williams /19 16v ones are the ones you are referring to. I don't think they all have solid lifters and even the ones which do aren't that suited to high revs because they are similar to the 8v boxer type with the shim on top of the bucket, not ideal as they are prone to falling out! Most cost effective way to solid lifters is to remove the inners of the hydraulic valves in the standard ones and get shims made up to give correct valve clearance. they would be fine for 8/8500 rpm.
alternatively buy Arrow followers for the clio williams which are flat topped (shim on top of the valve) but cost 240 quid plus shims plus vat.
to run consistently to 8500 rpm you will need forged pistons as well as the standard ones will break up if revved that hard for long. You should also renew your big end bolts but I think that the (stronger) 16v ones are no longer available so a different source is needed. I was thinking about ARP ones for the 2.0l ford zetec engine as they are the same(9mm) thread and length but don't know for sure if they will be suitable. I now have a set of h beam Arrow rods which use different bolts entirely so haven't gone any farther with the zetec ones.
hope this helps and good luck.
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: 16V revs Reply with quote

Thanks thats great info . I presume if you take the guts out of the hydraulic lifter the shim sits between the spring cap and inside the lifter against the underside of the top face?
Pistons are going to be a special set of JE items as I am building a 1400cc 16V.
On the subject of con-rod bolts what I did was the following. My local machine shop bored and rethreaded the std con-rods to accept ARP bolts. They were ARP 2000 bolts set 200-6208 BEB 09/8 which have 3/8 x 1.75 UHL threads. I have been running these in a 8V 1600 rallycar using 8-8500 revs for about five years and have had no problems. The conversion cost about £10 / rod. Its the ARP bolts that are the expense
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been advised that std hydraulic tappets shouldnt be revved higher than 8000rpm. If anyone does this and it blows up though dont blame me.
However AHMotorsport do have a solid tappet conversion which although not cheap Shocked its not silly money and is better than an engine rebuild in the long run. Anyone tried this conversion before I take the plunge, bank manager permitting. Rolling Eyes
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, unless you buy the full kit ie with valves, springs, caps etc the followers Adie sells won't be any good. He uses longer valves and followers without stems. None of the stuff can be fitted on its own as it's all different sizes to the standard stuff.
Did you buy your car from a chap called Stan?
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I know a Stan from N. Wales though. Stan said he built his 33 based on an article that was done on my car in Rally Sport in 1994ish.
Are you the gent who bought his engine from him? He said it had gone up north.
I will clarify with Adie if any other mods are needed to fit his solid conversion but I thought I'd already asked that question. Thanks for cautionary note though. Does that mean you have already fitted his conversion? If so how did it go? What are you using your car for?
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken to AHMotorsport today. Told them exactly what I am doing i.e. std valves, cams, springs, caps etc. They said they didnt see a problem with the solid conversion and wouldnt need anything else apart from buckets and shims Smile . Were a bit unsure as to what clearances would need to be used and would have to sort them out myself Sad . Gave me some guidance based on what they knew and thought it might be noisier than standard but that shouldnt be a problem on a rallycar Wink
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, yes I did buy Stan's engine to get the rods in it for my 16v! It will be a hillclimb/sprint car when I finally get round to it.
I haven't used any of Adie's bits, all I did was buy a set of s/h cams from him and during the discussions he told me that he uses longer valves with followers without stems in his engines so I assumed that was what he would sell as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: