Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1400 16V rallycar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever been tempted to do the tempest rally near me per chance?.
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sorry never been that far south. Closest to London we have been is a place called Enstone which is where I think some F1 teams were based. Occasionally we go to a place called Down Ampney in the Cotswolds and have thought about a place called Colerne near Bristol. But thats it I'm afraid.
rsfruitbat
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I had something to say but I thought I would update everyone with how the car is progressing.

After the last rally at Swynnerton in September last year we decided it as time for an ECU upgrade which as everyone knows aint cheap or easy.

A bit of saving followed and a visit fom Santa helped I finaly installed an Omex 600 ECU just after xmas.

Bit more saving and it was off to Mech-motorsport (Dave ) for a setup on the rollers.

Disapointment. After a day on the rollers and a long chat we agreed these cams Ive got are just too much for a 1400.
The only quick solution and what we were originally going to do is engine out, remove heads, rebuild with std cams springs and followers.

What a pain. took me about 6 hrs per head to do the strip and rebuild.

Once the engine was rebuilt it was back to the rollers.

Good news this time. Below 6000rpm engine has 10% more torque and 5%more power than with the old cams so although the overall peak power is down Ive got a lot more power and torque where I can use it.

Next event is Weston park on Sunday the 21st running car 61

rsfruitbat
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidentally came across the 'Malcolm Wilson' rally 2 weeks ago in the Lakes. Followed one of the cars between stages, but had to slow down as Sue was shouting at me to slow down.
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmsl, women!!!
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If things go well this year we will be doing that rally next year.

rsfruitbat
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I will definitely be there supporting.
Regards.
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been a good year overall.

Clutch packed up first
Then camshaft oil seal problems.
Followed by a snapped driveshaft.
And lastly a camshaft pulley shattered knackering a head.

Anyway, engine running again now and we are running car 238 on The Woodpecker rally this saturday based around Ludlow.

rsfruitbat
charlie-H79AMP
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Smile
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we actually finished. Only the second event this year but quite pleased with the result. 170 cars entered and we finished 105 O/A and 12th in class. Doesnt sound that grand but when you consider the car taht won the rally cost £500k and the leading cars in our class have getting on for 200bhp I'm quite pleased.

Rally was very dusty and hot inside the car. Had a few moments but luckily got away with them all this time. Thought we had damaged a driveshaft but it turned out to be a buckled wheel.

Think I must be getting to old for this caper. You get up to 80mph+ down these forest tracks and the car is still weaving all over the place and you think I must be mad. Thats quick enough for me.

God willing next rally is a a place called Caerwent in South Wales on Sept 26th.

rsfruitbat
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welldone chap
80 in a forest nutter Laughing

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Fruitbat, any video footage?? Smile
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent found any yet but still looking.
Some good pictures of us on OMNI photographic, JMSphotographic etc

try searching for woodpecker rally 2010.

My biggest problem is 80 isnt fast enough Shocked

rsfruitbat
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

After a very up an down year in 2010 we ended up with a result in championship way beyond my expectations. Plan at start of the year was to aim for a class award in the championship we competed in. We ended up winning our class, being first front wheel drive, and coming second overall driver. Unfortunately the awards are organised so you can only win one so I picked up the award for second overall driver. Really pleased.

Car has been rolling roaded now with cleaned up heads and catcams and Dave at Mekrepairs has worked his magic giving us about 10bhp more with about the same torque.
Looking more and more like the manifold is too big for my little engine so a visit to Shrewi is on the cards soon. Hopefully that will get us some more torque aswell.

1st rally in this years championship was at Weston Park in March
We did quite well in the end. We started car 50 out of 70, 15 of which were in the same class as us, up to 1400cc
Eventually finished 38th O/A and 3rd in class. Average speed for event was 52mph and highest average speed for a stage was 57mph. Stages were quite short averaging between 2.5 and 3.4 miles in length.
Car and engine seemed to run well but the driver was a bit rusty. Been 5 months since my last rally. Had a few off tarmac excursions with the worst one being a 50mph spin off. Luckily no damage.
If anyone wants to see a clip of one "moment" have a look at the MAD videos website and look for AGBO stages. Photos can be found at rallygallery.com under the same event name

2nd round of the championship was at MIRA on Saturday.
Started at car 52 out of 80
Finished 39th overall, 2nd in class out of 9 SmileSmileSmile.

Chuffed to bits with this result. Some good pictures of us on rallygallery.com. Go to gallery, events, 2011, then look for Disis Horiba Mira stages. Select the car 51 - 60 graphic at the bottom. We have one picture on first page and lots more on second.

We did manage to clip a bail and lost the indicator lens cover so if anyone has either a clear O/S or a pair of orange I am interested.
Next rally was supposd to be over Epynt on May1st but its been cancelled so going to RAF Barkston Heath on same date as championship goes there in August anyway.
Its an active base so if you want to come and see us you'll have to marshall.

RSfruitbat
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
In case anyone is interested we are compeing at Rockingham Motor Speedway near Corby on Dec 7/8th. Plenty of details on the Rockingham website.
Good thing about this venue is you can use all the facilities so you can sit inside the heated grandstand with a pint and a meal and still see about 80% of the stage!
We are running car 64 Sad so i've ordered a large barrell of wupass to try and proove the seeding muppets wrong.
If anyone does come and is brave enough to venture out of the heated oasis of the grandstand come and say hello Very Happy

rsfruitbat
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeding muppets thoroughly thrashed Very Happy

Finished 34th O/A and 3rd in class

Car ran brilliantly after a rethink on the exhaust system and induction released about 10% more power and torque at the lower revs for very little loss at max revs. Thanks to Dave at Mek-Motorsport.

rsfruitbat
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.

Where do you reckon you'll be competing next?
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done aide great result Cool interesting power increase too Cool

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Joelomint
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10%! That's mega.. what exactly did the exhaust and induction re-think entail?
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
When compared with the std 16V Exhaust involved reducing primary sizes down to Sud green cloverleaf manifold sizes (35mm) shortening the primaries by about 200mm, larger and longer secondaries, smaller bore system.
Induction involved taking off the seperate air filters ram pipes and stacks and refitting the std plenum but the wrong way round so air intake faces forward.

Dont know what we are doing next yet. As soon as soon as I have an idea I will post it up.

rsfruitbat
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS….

was this before I saw the car on the rollers?

How did you get on recently when I saw the car there a few weeks ago? Did you get good power / torque from your recent visit?

Had you made some changes that called for a rolling road session?

Didn't see the reversed plenum when I was there - so presumably that was installed after my trip to see Dave?

E.
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed.

Car was on the rollers on the Thursday and we did the rally the Sat / Sun.

Me and Dave have been speculating for a long while about whether the std exhaust manifold was too big for a 1400. I found an old cloverleaf manifold off my 1600 and noticed the bore was pretty close to what we thought we might go for on a bespoke manifold. So I got the welder out and made up a new manifold and system to try the theory.
Dave had found a few problems when he was setting a new throttle pot up for me which was the initial reason for the trip to the rollers. And then we thought we would combine the two.

The manifold gave torque and power increases. Dave was still unhappy though and came up with the plenum chamber idea which gave even more improvements for very little trade off at the top end.
Dave fitted the plenum as normal but it caused other installation problems so when I got the car back home with fairly little messing about I turned it round so the inlet faced forward. Job done.

I am still waiting for an explanation from the organisers as to why I was seeded so low.

All the best and Merry Xmas guys.

rsfruitbat
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Matey,

was back there yesterday buying some heads for the new engine from Dave. Starting to make some progress now on the engine build.

Still trying to work out what to do with regards to cams but after a decent chat with Dave last night - may stick in a set standard ones. It is a known starting point, but we were still talking through the verner cam wheel conundrum.

He didn't seem to know anything about the back plate when I was there, but may now have found a way round it with what I have here, so thanks for that.

Thinking about your set up, would you be interested in selling the nylon tubes that sat on top of the throttle bodies. I think you may perhaps have shortened them but…. would be interested if you had no use?

Let me know Very Happy

Cheers and happy Christmas,

Edward.
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I dont want to sell them but if you want to borrow and see if it all works. i.e trumpets, tubes base plates air filters etc you are welcome to do that. Only thing thats missing is the air temp sensor.

We went from BDA profile cams to std cams and then fitted some Catcams. Me and Dave are still debating whether to go back to std?
If you do go std but then want to upgrade let me know. I may have decided what I am doing with mine by then if you are interested?

Gozzoli do vernier pulleys but they arent cheap about £350 a set. There was a group buy on AO a while ago.

Perhaps it was Dave himself who was in need of a backplate but I did give him one. Or perhaps I am confused?

rsfruitbat
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS,

thanks for the very kind offer, will leave them with you for the time being, was just trying to find a quick way of having some, without having to have some made again. Smile

If you happen to be interested I have one of the plenums with the throttle idle hole aluminium welded closed - to avoid any air leaks - your free if you wanted. (if I can find it) I guess you may have a normal one - so this would only be a belt and braces option.

Interesting what you are saying about cams. I presume BDA is a full rally cam? I like you, had an interesting discussion with Dave about sticking with standard cams - and am now on the lookout for a decent set. Would certainly be interested in a set of cams that you were no longer planning on using. I just have to be careful about lift as I don't know much about the interference potential with the new pistons. Trying to find an old 16v head gasket so I can do some test fitting. You haven't got an old one lying around by chance?

Also had an interesting brief chat about 'swinging?' the cams. Dave seemed to suggest there may be a position off standard that would provide more power. He said someone would know ….. does this make any sense to you? I would have perhaps thought that if anyone knew …. it might be Dave! Laughing

Wouldn't mind a quick chat on the phone - just to pick your brains a bit with regards to cams. It is the next bit of the jigsaw for me…..

E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: