Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16V race cams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: 16V race cams Reply with quote

Guys I hate to impose but I have googled 2 hrs to find a set of affordable camshafts for my 16V carbs (lightend and balanced to do 8000rpm) with no avail.

I had a link sometime back but lost it. Some shop with various 16V cam profiles and a lot cheaper then C&B cams. Can somebody help? My engine is ready, just waiting for the right cam profile.

Thanks in advance.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried AHM???

www.ahmotorsports.co.uk

EDIT : What's happened to that then?

Bob
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahmotorsports may be many things but "affordable" isn't one of them!
try
www.catcams.be
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also the website closed down. btw I kindda heard the C&B cams are quite mild to be still hydraulic tappet friendly. Some friend of mine bought it and didn't quite impress him. I have spent once on 8v c&b.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want to do as well... if you're racing then go for full on ones.... but you should never overcam a road car as you won't be able to park it in Tesco!

Bob
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately bobber. The range to 8000 rpm would be perhaps C&B MAX road cams but I read they don't make it anymore. I was thinking of jus slightly higher than medium street cams by C&B.
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugh jinjin wrote:
ahmotorsports may be many things but "affordable" isn't one of them!
try
www.catcams.be

Quite right - I investigated some cams from AH Motorsports and they quoted £800 +vat + setting up and mentioned that if you want anything with any significant power gains that would run smoothly, you'd need programmable ECU and throttle bodies, £800 +vat plus setting up on rolling road, and £1100 +vat respectively!!!

The cat cams are about £550, 2 types available, fast road and race. C & B cams are about £600, again they do fast road and race.

Might be worth speaking to Kent cams. They don't specifically list them but are able to reprofile existing cams to your spec.

You could also try BLS (www.blsautomotive.co.uk tel 01522 531529) - they do lots of racing stuff for boxer engines

Hope that helps

Rich
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly. The problem is that street cams available for C&B are meant for bolt on without modifications. I am running on carbs so remapping fuel and ignition is not a problem. Thanks for the link.
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There.
When I looked on the catcams web-site they did 6 variants I think. 3 were for use with hydraulic tappets and three were for with solid.
I was given some L1 and BD3 cams in need of some TLC for my 1400 16V. Not sure if they will be too much though but i've fitted them. Should know how they go by end of Jan. If they are too much I will be selling them but it does mean waiting till then and no guarantees.
If you did need programmable ignition there was a thread on here for someone who did it really cheaply using Ford parts. Think it was on a sprint.
Best of luck RSfruitbat
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bro. what are the profiles of your cams? I am using the old fashion mechanical distributor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: