Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Handbrake

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Handbrake Reply with quote

My Clan Clover failed it's MOT on the handbrake (it uses the complete Alfa Sud drive train but at the back). The off-side works OK but the near side was not working very well. The tester suggested I change the disks and put new pads in (as the nearside disk is slightly warped). So I rang my local brake supplier and they said there are 2 types listed for the Sud. Is that correct? If so how do I tell which one I should buy?

Also to get the car through the MOT (I have 14 days for a free re-take) I thought about just getting the handbrake to work so I can change the disks at my leisure. Since the handbarke cable works both calipers (and the nearside is at the end of the cable) should I adjust the inner pad on the nearside caliper to reduce the travel or is that a no-no? Otherwise how do I get both sides to work well? The Haynes workshop manual is not very helpful on this point!

All suggestions wellcome Smile

Richard
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess around with the pad clarances as you are likely to have one wheel lock while the other still turns, the ideal situation to put you in a spin.

Brakes are a NO BODGE AREA as they keep you and more importantly other road users/pedestrians in one piece.

As for which type of disk to get, quote your chassis number as most suppliers have the range of numbers for the corresponding part.
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Handbrake Reply with quote

Hi Gary, thanks for the advice. Smile

Only one problem, my chassis number is 0002 and I have no chassis number to say which Sud my engine/transaxle came from. But looking at the Haynes manual I suppose the dealers may be quoting me for the inboard disks on the original Sud and for the outboard disks on the Sprint. Do you agree?

Richard
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There were 2 types of inboard disk. Early ones had (I think) a couple of tabs to attach the disks, later ones had 6 bolt holes. Given when the Clan Clover came out I would say it almost certainly has the later 6 bolt disks.

The handbrake only works on the inner pads I think. Make sure they are adjusted correctly

All the best

Keith
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Handbrake Reply with quote

Smile Thanks Keith, I've now had a look and the discs have four mounting holes. So I presume later ones have six. Although it's meant to be a production car, there is no guarantee with regard to the heritage of the gearbox! With not having a pit I've chickened out and will put the car into a garage to do the work (I need to get the MOT!).

Thanks again

Richard

PS How do I get the "Alfa Arna" under my name changed to "Clan Clover". I tried to include a picture of my car with my profile but it refused to take it.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alfa Arna is Kieth's form of punishment for being a newbie to the forum Wink Laughing Your Sud/Sprint/Arna/33 derivative will change with the number of posts you post on the forum. You are not the first person to be alarmed by this Very Happy just keep contributing to the forum and you will loose this unwanted handle. I myself am quite happy to be a Sprint Cool smug bastard I know Mr. Green

I bet when you set them up Kieth you weren't expecting this amount of feedback Shocked te-he-he-he
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If I was really cruel I would have made the lowest ranks Lada or Nova (or if I was exceptionally cruel it would have been Audi........I don't like Audis having owned one).

It was just a bit of fun.

All the best

Keith
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Changing the picture should be easy, but there is a limit on the size, both number of pixels and the actual size of the file.

It is easiest just to have a small image loaded up on some web space and then link to that.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: