Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

strange noice

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: strange noice Reply with quote

ive got a strange noice coming from my engine which sounds like the exhaust blowing but im 99.9% certain its not its comin from the left side of the engine looking at it from the front of the car.
its a 15 grenn clover leaf
it sounds loader under neith the car as well
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camshaft Question

Marcin
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have alot of back pressure in the negine??
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure gary how do i check this
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the oil filler cap off and look for an excessive amount of pressure (air/combustion gasses) coming out.
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if there is a lot of back pressure Question

Marcin
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Strange noises??? Reply with quote

have you checked to see if your exhaust centre box baffles have rusted apart,as they make a weird noise.
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whole new sustem which was assembled with wit wxhaust sealer as well to make sure it didnt blow that why i kno it aint that and ill check that gary wot should i do if this is the prob
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondered if you were getting combustion gasses blown into the engine as this can give you that sound or a damaged/sticking inlet valve blowing into the manifold, (I hope not)
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do i ill have a closer look tomoz then see if i can see ne fing else
Larsen.DK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Strange noise Reply with quote

I have the same strange noise problem with a 1.5ie - somthing between exaust and walve tapping noise at slow rpm comming from cylinder no 1. Disapear at higher rpm. Also disapear when I remove the electrical connection to the fuel injector. Besides this, the engine seems to work OK, also the spark plug looks fine.
Now I have dismantled the cylinder-head/chamshaft. Everything looks just fine! I have in desperation desided to change the hydraulic tappets, not that I can see any damage at these, but I have to try somthing.
Do anyone have any other sugestion?? It is not funny to assemble the engine to be more wise!

Larsen Confused
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's most likely a noisy injector as the noise stops when you disconnect it. Failing that a broken piston ring or maybe a small/big end bearing. Take the sump off and check for movement in the con rod on that cylinder.
Larsen.DK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suspected the injector, so before dismanteling, I exchanged no1 and 3 injector - but the noise stayes in no 1. A bearing - maybe, but would this not make hard clicking noise under acceleration? The cylinder bore looks (also) fine, and I can't feel any slack at the pistion when operating the crank, but it may be worth opening the bottom and take a look

Larsen.DK
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken piston ring by the sounds of it, is it a ticking noise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Gary - I will take a look at the piston. Let you know the result.
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (new) 16V is definitely making a ticking noise too. Very annoying. More like a rattling really when heard from outside. Not audible from inside with windows closed. It is most obvious when the engine has been running for quite a while - it's not always as obvious when first starting it. I don't know if this is a tappet sticking - if it were, is it easily fixable with something like oil additives, or will it require taking apart? It seems to be coming more from the LHS cylinder bank.

One thing I'm not clear on yet is whether or not I'm getting the full power a 16V is supposed to give. I was expecting a little more "fireworks" in the higher rev range, but they don't really show themselves in anything other than first gear. Would this be due to a sticking tappet? Am I losing much power because of it?
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting a little more "fireworks" in the higher rev range, but they don't really show themselves in anything other than first gear. quote]

Hi hugh,

how much more does your sportswagon weigh to a hatch back? as ive sorted mine out now after bending eight valve's on driver's side and one on the other side,but my mate strightened it for me and now the thing goes like rocket, 1st 2nd 3rd. when it hit's 4 thousend rev's it turn's into another engine love it. have you put a better air filter and system on yet?mite help abit.p.s i have the same ticking sound,could be tappet's of noisy injector,that's 16v's for you,turn your stereo up Laughing all the best john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOODY INVALID SESSION!!!!!! *&!£@^"$!!!! Just lost the long reply I wrote there.

Basically the jist was:

The sportwagon weighs more or less the same as the hatch.
Glad you've sorted your engine out.
Filter is K+N, exhaust is standard. Would sports system improve things?
I can't hear rattling inside car with fan on, just problem when people hear the 'new improved' engine - "oo-er the tappet's rattly" - hardly flattering!

I wish the forums automatically saved the reply in a cookie or something before attempting to post it - if it fails, what you typed is invariably lost. Almost flattened the keyboard when I realised it.
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mixsynth"]BLOODY INVALID SESSION!!!!!! *&!£@^"$!!!! Just lost the long reply I wrote there.
Hi,
that's happened to me before, not good! well back to the car's.people say air filter and sport's system,should give about 10% to 15% more power when set up right e.g sorting the fueling out, as there will be more air going in and less back pressure coming out the back.the k&n you've got is it a cone or is it in the standard air box.if it's in the air box,make a cold air feed from the front to the box so it alway's suck's cold air and not the hot air from the engine,because you will lose power.that goes for the cone type as well.cover it up,that's the next thing i will be doing, making a ram air system, hope that help's chap Cool

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Strange noise Reply with quote

I also had a rattle from my engine but thought it was the baffles in the silencers. But I then noticed that there was a gap between the manifold and the nut (and the nut was seized solid). So I've removed the studs, put new ones in and hey presto, no noise or rattle just a nice roar from the exhaust.

Looking at the old studs, they are badly corroded. Since they hang down underneath the car, they are not protected like a conventional engine. So I suggest you have a look.

Also use brass nuts instead of steel ones as they will be easier to take off next time!

Richard
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy wrote:
BLOODY INVALID SESSION!!!!!! *&!£@^"$!!!! Just lost the long reply I wrote there.

Hi

Just done an upgrade to the board which will hopefully get rid of some of these invalid session errors.

All the best

Keith
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burgo
To make sure it definitely isn`t the exhaust , get a friend to block the tailpipe with his foot while you listen up front. Any leak will chuff loudly. Don`t want to alarm you but I had a light tapping noise which didn`t seem serious, just annoying so after much deliberation decided to check bigends. Sump off,bigends OK,much cursing,pulled heads off,heads OK,more cursing,checked bore,O GOD big grooves! The engine stripdown revealed that some dickhead had assembled two pistons with both gudgeon circlips on the one side, allowing the gudgoen pins to float sideways into the bore. Exit one block! Whether this had been done in the factory or at a later date I have no idea,I have never struck it before. The car ran quite well with very little smoke,just the tapping noise.Incidentally,while rebuilding the motor, Icleaned up the heads and manifolds, pretty much along the lines of the Alfa Boxer tuning site with 3 angle valve seats etc with the addition that I pocketed under the valve seat slightly. The ports and manifolds are b.......y rough as cast. The car now pulls like a steamtrain down low and at 4500 acts like it`s just come on a cam Agood result for mild work.
Regards Eddie
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie W wrote:
checked bore,O GOD big grooves!

I have seen this result before on a 1.5L motor. It was many years ago and they also ditched the motor. Crying or Very sad

I wonder if it could have been fixed by over boring and fitting a sleeve. I have seen a sleeve fitted to a 16V from damage to a cylinder; it works quite well, no loss in performance from the motor. Very Happy
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott
I wish i`d kept the block now to bore for an oversize motor(87mm?) Going to try the head mods on daughters 1700 plus conversion to solid lifters when I`m allowed. Also going to make my own extractors for both. What a bitch to get the primaries halfway even in length. Drove a Pulsar GTIR tonight and was most impressed with the grunt and allround capability. Must be more to get out of the Alfa without destroying the beautiful balance of performance and handling that makes them such a joy to drive. The torque steer problems that seem to go with extra power must be solvable. Smile
Regards Eddie
Larsen, DK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Strange noise Reply with quote

Gary UK wrote:
Broken piston ring by the sounds of it, is it a ticking noise

Hi Gary - I promised you an answer - sorry for the late reply: I checked the bearrings as well as the piston-rings - all were OK. I then shifted the four hydralic tappets, and the strange noise disapears.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: