Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 REAR Wheel Camber

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: 33 REAR Wheel Camber Reply with quote

Is it possible to have incorrect camber on one rear wheel?

Due to heavy wear of the inside of the tyre I'm wondering if my car has a bent stub axle (If that is what it is?) I only bought the car 3 months ago and the tyre could have been worn like this then - but don't know.

Has anyone else experienced this with their series 3 33s? If so, how did you cure it and is this the right time to fit a rear disc conversion kit? If so, from where?

Adam H
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this query, does anyone have specs for the rear alignment (ie. camber and toe in/out)?
Eddie
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the wheel base on both sides they should be identical. \If not the car has been crashed and not jigged and the car may be crabbing, this would lead to uneven tyre wear. (Ever the optimist). Also check for bent rear suspension tie arms (these will bend before the axle)`

I had a Citroen BX embed itself in the boot of my beloved black 1987 1.7 veloce back in 92 and the damage to the eye didn't look too bad at all. The dent was eight inches into the boot at the worst point. The boot lid was intact except for where the latch had been pushed back and distorted the bottom slightly (will post a picture tomorrow, can't be arsed to scan at this time of night) but this put the passenger side rear wheel 3.5cm out of square (i.e. 3.5cm forward). The car was written off but I kept it, oooooh it still brings a tear to my eye, the guy in the Citroen was uninsured and the settlement I got was pitiful from the Insurance ombudsman, £500 (I only had 3rd party). Bloody tailgaters, and people slag the 33 brakes up.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could of happened is the tyre was on the front and was swapped to the back before you bought it. This would explain the tyre wear.

You could try getting a long piece of wood, place it on the ground along the tyre and mark the ground with chalk near the ends of the wood, do this to the other side and then measure the distance between the marks from each side. They should be the approximately the same distance. This will give you a rough guide to see if they are pointing in the same direction. Make sure tyre pressures are correct first.

For the rear:
Camber angle should be α = 0° +- 25'
Toe out angle should be β = 0° +- 25'

There are no adjustments for the rear.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: