Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Hello From Scotland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leutnant hiltz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Hello From Scotland Reply with quote

Hello all
Just like to say thanks for all info available,seems every conceivable emotion, from frustration and beyond to extreme joy at 33 ownership is contained within this sites domain.
Have been tentatively considering a 33 for a while now,have a 145 qv as a daily,a van and a brother with a 156,so most bases are covered except the massive hole which is a 1.7 16V boxer engined piece of italian exotica. And so the search continues.But with a budget this time.Will be looking for a s3,pre cat preferably,love a s2 veloce,but might be just a bit wide for me to get away with,anyway,decisions,decisions.
So,expect to see me lurking about,asking the questions that make you cringe as you can only expect from a man in an Alfa Arna,thanks again,cheers,lt.h
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chap
Welcome to the mad house Wink
Good luck with your search ! You can always dump a 16v in veloce Wink

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
leutnant hiltz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for welcome,there are a couple about and it is a fun thing to look for, sadly too slow on a P4 which was in stornoway,The Wombat beat me to that one-would like to hear about his drive back,must have been a memorable journey.
Distance is not the biggest problem,do not mind a travel myself, and a lot of the good ones seem to be in your neck of the woods,population density i reckon,but going further south than london can be a pain,anyway,thanks again and any pointers you may have-point away! Cheers,lt.h
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that m8 Very Happy

Bodywork is a little scruffy on the P4, but its solid and goes very well.

Journey back was scenic from Ullapool until it got dark. Went across to Inverness and down to Edinburgh where I stayed the night with my sister. I found out that at that time of the evening, the road from Inverness to Perth has no petrol stations open!!! Car had half a tank when I left Stornoway, and I arrived in Perth on fumes. Luckily the bright and welcoming lights of the BP station on the northern edge of Perth saved the day.

On from Edinburgh the next day, I cut across country to the A1, stopped just south of Newcastle for lunch with a friend (Speedy from the Alfa 155 forum), and then on down to Huntingdon and home.

Pretty uneventful, but I like a bit of a drive exploring a new car, so it was good fun. Car was sound and revealed a few character related things to me - it wanders a bit at speed, front brakes are warped which exacerbates when they are warm, care needed with second gear shifts etc. All good stuff.

Liked it so much I got a 1.7 8v over Christmas (was posted on here), and am hoping to pick up a decent 1.7 8v SW fairly soon. I fancy the idea of a 16v P4 SW, and have a red P4 whch might end being stripped to achieve this.

Got to love these 33s Very Happy
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
leutnant hiltz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Wombat,fully agree that a bit of a drive back is a good way to see how long the to do list is going to be,terrible feeling tho' when you're driving home realising you've just made a terrible mistake and very glad that is not the case for you. A p4 1.7 SW? Sounds the bomb,a pretty practical bomb! Thanks for reply and good luck,cheers,lt.h
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a well-looked-after red H-reg series 3 with 85k on the clock about to go on-sale in London with manual and spare alloys.
leutnant hiltz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul,thanks for reply,would appreciate a bit more info,happy for you to pass on my details to seller,pm me any details you may have,call or text and i would gladly call you back,07808962609 is my number,but would really like to know how you paid £7.50 for an s2,seems a tale worth telling,thanks again,lt.h
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually down to Dave Peters, the former 33 registrar about ten years ago. We used to make a good team. He saw two white 33s advertised on ebay with no pictures and a starting bid of £15. One was a runner whilst the other had a blown engine. Dave said how much should he bid up to. I said how about £60 - then you're laughing if you win and could I have the non-runner - I needed a replacement gearbox for a black 33 that I was running. So no-one else bid and Dave took £7.50 off me for the second car. When I got that second car back to mine and jacked it up to drop the engine and gearbox I noticed that the underside was in superb condition. Dave and I were also clearing a warehouse full of spares at the time so I bought a 67,000 mile engine for £60 and a gearbox for £30 and after six hours work I had the car up and running. The car also had a damaged door which I replaced with a spare that I already had. It went through an MOT a few weeks later with replacement steering rack gaiters and it's been a daily runner ever since. This year it has had some welding underneath. The amount of enjoyment per £1 this car has given me over the decade has been stunning.
leutnant hiltz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a miles to smiles to pounds spent exercise i think that will be nigh on impossible to beat,well done you scoundrels,cheers,lt.h
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: