Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

fit oil cooler

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: fit oil cooler Reply with quote

I live in Queensland Australia and during summer it can be around 35 + degrees . were is the best place to for pickups for an oil cooler . I am going to use the air con condenser as a cooler as the air con no longer works but the sun roof lifts out . Question
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit an adaptor between the oil filter and the mounting point for the oil filter. That is what everyone else seems to do that fits an oil cooler to our boxer motor.
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

does anyone know how hot the oil actually gets without an oil cooler? How much should it be cooled down, i.e. what's the optimum operating temperature?

Cheers

Marcin
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`d be bloody carefull about running oil pressure through an aircon core! They are not designed for such pressures. If you still want to try it, you should fill it with water and apply at least 70psi air pressure to it. The results of a failure at full noise on the motorway don`t bear thinking about!
Regards Eddie
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked into this a little further, pressure MIGHT be OK but flow is insufficient.
Regards Eddie
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the old golf GTI Mk I & II oil cooler pick-up from oil filter, pipework and cooler element would be ideal for the 33 and would bolt straight on with very little alterations. And as the engines are roughly the same size with similar oil capacities this would also make it an ideal donor plus there are plenty of cars around to cannibalise. I think that the element is short enough to be placed vertically alongside the radiator
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: