Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Starter problem, yay it's alive!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfa per la vita
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Starter problem, yay it's alive! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

So I've got a new problem with my starter engine Laughing
I've noticed a strange sound after releasing the key from the "engine start" position.
It was like a grinding noise or something.
It did not sound exactly the same every time, but was very noticeable.
So I took off the starter engine and tried to see if there was some dirt on the axis (apparently it is a very common problem).
After taking it out from the car I tried it again on a vise on my bench and everything seemed ok.
Anyway I start taking it apart.
And look what I found inside Shocked

So my qestion is: do you know what is this thing? (I know that this one is a very hard question)
Also if you know what it is, is it very important for the proper working of the starter engine? (not for the short term apparently... but for the long term?)
Thank you in advance for your answers!
Happy valentine's day!!

Last edited by alfa per la vita on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how you "took it apart", it looks as if a lot of force was applied Shocked Did you pull the armature out from the drive end?

It looks like part of the heavy flat "wire" - actually copper straps - which form the field windings and connect them to the brushes, have come loose and got caught on the armature (the part which turns).

It's amazing it was still working. It is unlikely anyone can repair it, but you could ask an auto electrician. Once you have removed the back end cover with the brushgear it is a bit tricky to reassemble unless you understand what you are doing.

More likely is that you need to replace it.

Click on the image here to enlarge it and see what it should look like inside
http://garysautomotive.com/services/batteries-and-charging/starter-motor-repair/

EDIT :-
The damaged piece you show looked to me like a piece of winding, in which case it would be copper.

However, some Bosch starters have a stop plate between the front of the armature and the gear which slides on the shaft, to stop the gear touching the armature when it moves back after starting.
These stop plates are made of steel plate, and some designs have "legs" which fix inside the housing.
If your damaged piece is steel it may be the remains of the stop plate.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RFlower. The only part at that side of the starte motor is the "clutch" which engages on the flywheel. This is a kind of ratchet which has a sophisticated internal and probably it has failed.

The starter is something easy to service as parts are common between car makes.

regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
alfa per la vita
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Big update Reply with quote

It has been some time since my last update but I am happy to say that finally the car is alive again !

I threw away the old starter, got a new (second-hand) one that I rebuilt using the instructions from the alfa-restoration website. It works fine now and make much less noise than before the rebuild. RFlower you were right it was indeed something that came out from the gear that slide on the shaft. And it felt apart by itself, I swear Embarassed !

So now the car is up and running again after a long time of sleep in the garage Cool but as I drove around the parking lot I noticed a new problem...

There is a strange, annoying sound that comes from the ABS unit/master vac area of the engine compartment. Like a little ticking noise... It changes a bit with rpm (like if it were something from the engine Confused ). At first we tought it might have been something from the clutch but playing with the clutch pedal does not really affect the noise... Has anyone been confronted with this issue ?

Thank you in advance !
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well done! I am glad to see that the 33 is alive again Very Happy

My 33 has been doing that kind of ticking noise since new, so I think it is not something to be worried

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: