Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16v cambelts snapped & stripped teeth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: 16v cambelts snapped & stripped teeth Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
It has been a while since anyone has posted.
Let’s hear some stories from owners of 33's please.

I have some sad news re both of mine, the track 33 stripped the o/s belt back in June 2021, well before it was due for replacement, at the time I was unable to source any parts.
Prior to this it was at Alex's for a very long time having a replacement petrol tank, sweeping front LED indicators, I was going to do this myself but someone wanted to take this on, I also had rear led brake lights fitted to the tailgate reflector, it also had a rear disk conversion, new brake pipes front to rear x 2, the second set was for my red 33 and welding done for MOT, seat mounts!!
It was stripped, ready for restoration, fitting my fiberglass tailgate with plexiglass, lightweight spoiler and a full respray.
Sadly, the restoration work fell through.
After collecting it, OMG what fun it was driving it again, a little while later whilst driving to work I heard that horrible sound of valves hitting pistons and it was laid up until I had to sorn it.

On my daily
In June 2021 I had low brake fluid and found the seals on rear cylinders were leaking and there were seized pistons, I also found that both self-adjuster ratchets spring things were missing.
After fitting 2 new rear cylinders and shoes, not long after the brake pipe sprung a leak, probably due to proper pressure, I had the brake pipe work repaired, as Alex didn’t put my spare brake lines in my track car when I collected it along with forgetting my lightweight spoiler.

In Nov 2021 the clutch master cylinder “CMC” gave up, so I removed it to find the spring had snapped, I tried to source a replacement spring to no avail, only seals were available, so I whipped out the CMC from the track car and fitted it to the red one whilst I hunted for a spring, I ended up having to buy a new CMC which will go on the track car.

In June 2022 the o/s belt snapped, parts were still unavailable.
I removed the o/s head in September to find all 8 valves were bent, I managed to source valves and everything else needed but had to wait for a break in the weather, as it was too cold.
I was able to remove all the valve springs bar 1 inlet valve, the exhaust valves are removable, but the inlet are all stuck.
The head is with a machine shop as I speak, I have been told a week but when I said I was unable to get 1 valve out, he asked me, what do you want me to do? He said that it might be able to remove by hitting the valve head with a drift to straighten it up, allowing the collets to be removed.
I await conformation re the state of the valve guides and if he can get the valve out.
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news.
No damaged valve guides or valve seats, the head had a broken stud removed and hellicoiled and was ready yesterday but he advised that the valve seals should be replaced, so he is doing that and should be ready today.

I've replaced the left side belt, so there's less work to do when i refit the right head.

I'm trying to source some S/S exhaust manifold studs, as the previous owner has used bolts Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad news.
Engine is up and running.

The Cylinder Head repair man had to remove the throttle body to remove the valve, I tried reusing the gaskets but it leaked once, I have sourced some new ones and will replace later.
There was a fuel leak by the fuel pressure regulator, replaced a jubilee and no more leak.
I let it idle to 85c and cool down a couple times.
After cranking to let the oil circulate, when I went to start it, it started first time!!
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Nov 2021 the clutch master cylinder “CMC” gave up, so I removed it to find the spring had snapped, I tried to source a replacement spring to no avail, only seals were available, so I whipped out the CMC from the track car and fitted it to the red one whilst I hunted for a spring, I ended up having to buy a new CMC which will go on the track car.

Hi

Soooo typical and also when the spring snaps the pointy end pokes through the rubber seal while the other hal of the spring rubs against the cylinder causing a squeaking noise

zp
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring snapped into 3 pieces and no there damage was caused.

Daily is running again and has a new mot.

Onto the track car soon, need a break.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy boy then Al,
I have been out of the 33 scene for a while as work, house move and now the sheer cost of living meant my car was put on the back burner.(although I fitted and re-jetted a brand new set of 44IDFs.
As of last week I have given it a full service both engine and gearbox, new throttle cable, fixed the intermittent speedo issue and gave the car a thorough clean. I must say it runs really well especially after the air corrector jets were enlarged(touching wood as I type) Very Happy . Gave it a 100mile run last week and was pleased with the results.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

Busy boy then Al,
I have been out of the 33 scene for a while as work, house move and now the sheer cost of living meant my car was put on the back burner.(although I fitted and re-jetted a brand new set of 44IDFs.
As of last week I have given it a full service both engine and gearbox, new throttle cable, fixed the intermittent speedo issue and gave the car a thorough clean. I must say it runs really well especially after the air corrector jets were enlarged(touching wood as I type) Very Happy . Gave it a 100mile run last week and was pleased with the results.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

Busy boy then Al,
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
yes
yes
Triple post there son lol
good to hear yours is up and running, I'v still yet to start the track car, no mojo Sad
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain, good to see you here. Are you coming along to Bicester NAD on the 20th August for the 33's 40th birthday?? Hopefully a few old faces turning up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: