Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Anyone in France want to restore a Sprint?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone in France want to restore a Sprint? Reply with quote

For Sale - my wife's July 1986 Sprint 1.5 silver QV (see my Avatar), which I bought for her in Spain in April 1990, and which has been sitting in our garage since its last Contrôle Technique (MOT) when I changed it onto French plates in April 2010. It is LHD so probably not of interest to anyone in the UK.

It has done just under 60,000 km, regularly and correctly serviced by myself, and I run the engine occasionally. The timing belts were last changed at 57,000 km, in 2002 and it runs as sweet as a nut, as it did when I took it for its test in 2010. I suppose the belts should be changed before driving it any distance, which could be done in my garage, and I would put it through its required CT before selling it - the test station is 500 m from my house.

After doing the importation I decided to finally restore the bodywork where it is rusted or damaged over the years. The RHS wheel arch edges, repaired badly in Spain after being grazed by another vehicle, 2 rust blisters, one under the windscreen, another under the rear screen, small blisters on the body below both rear sides and a blister on the bonnet from when a carb caught fire due to a leaking fuel hose years ago.

The rest of the car, especially underneath, is sound, as it spent all its life in Spain or the S of France, and all the above repairs were feasible to do gradually myself.

However, when I removed the interior trim each side of the rear seats to investigate why the rear window winders don't work, I found the window mechanisms rusted solid. The supports they sit in are almost rusted away, and the bottom of the rear sides also pretty rusty (explaining the blisters on the outside).

The supports for the mechanisms are perfectly designed to trap water when the small drain hole gets blocked, and water then collects in the bottom of the rear sides, causing more rust damage, as there are no drain holes there.

I have replacement mechanisms but am not skilled enough to repair this damage myself, local body shops don't want the job or want exhorbitant amounts, and I won't sell the car with the fault hidden.

Anyone interested to make a sensible offer?

Here is a picture of the worst of the two window mechanism supports.

An old mechanism - I have replacements

The car in 1990. I removed the side stickers and the ugly rear foil.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: