Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Metal flakes in the oil sump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg907
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Metal flakes in the oil sump Reply with quote

Hello dear alfa boxer experts.
Hope there is still someone around here.
I come with a (maybe trivial) question.
Yesterday I found in the oil sump a good amount of glittering metal flakes that I suppose being made by aluminium as they are not attracted by a magnet.
Worndering about where these flakes are coming from, I started removing the rod end caps in order to check the rod bearing.
I was expecting to find some spun rod bearings but everything was fine, the bearings where in perfect shape as well as the crankshaft journals (no scratches at all).
Then I moved to the main bearings, Number 1 ok,number two fine as well but problems started to arise when trying to remove the third one, the one under the oil pump.
I removed the three bolts securing the oil pump to the block but the oil pump doesn't want to come off. It goes down more or less 2 centimeters and then stops.
Is there something blocking the oil pump in its place I have to remove before? Maybe the mechanical fuel pump ?
Even taking the distributor off nothing changes.
Please take in account that my car is a 1992 carb 33 with Bosch distributor and I'm working from under the car with the engine still in place.
Any advice will be really appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Mario
mg907
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I was able to remove the oil sump. The fuel pump pin was blocking it in its place. Removed the 3rd main bearing cap and I found a very worn bearing, where the metal flakes came from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: