Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Shrink wrapped exhaust

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Shrink wrapped exhaust Reply with quote

Hello All

Yesterday I drove over some plastic wrapping, about enough to wrap a small pallet or bed mattress, but did not know it was there. When someone drew my attention to it, it had been dragging along under the car for some time. I pulled it away but it has left a semi-hard coating, up to about 5mm thick in places, from the headers to the catalyst.

This stuff is almost impossible to get off as the bond to the metal is stronger than the material itself so only small bits pull off and the rest has to be scraped off. It smokes a little bit and smells like hot plastic (duh). I am keeping an eye on it whenever I stop but I don't think it will ignite. The car will have to go up on a hoist to get a good go at it to remove the mess.
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing a few years ago in the Sud, just a standard white plastic shopping bag. Geez it stank for days - but eventually the last bits burnt off and that was that. In my case it just smoldered, never looked like catching fire - good luck!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum