Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Clutch problems

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Clutch problems Reply with quote

The clutch on my sud engine failed some months ago requiring me to be rescued by the RAC. It started with being difficult to engage 1st gear and then I couldn't get any gears. So I thought it must be the slave cylinder not giving sufficient movement but having just had a quick look today I notice that there seems to be play in the actuating arm (i.e. you can rotate it). Is that correct? I tried to search the forum but it only seems to do recent postings. Any suggestions welcome.

Richard
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There are a couple of things I can think of that may make engaging difficult.
The first thing that springs to mind is the fingers in the centre of the clutch itself being worn giving less movement.
The next thing is the master cylinder could need overhaul ie worn rubber seals although you would find the car starting to creep forward if you were stopped in gear with the clutch pedal pressed.
In my experience the actuating arm usually feels loose when not under pressure especially of that agethey tend to get worn over time.
What sort of noise if any did it make when it failed?
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, no noise at all. So I think you may be right that it's the master cylinder. I have already bought a new slave cylinder but I suppose if that was leaking then I would see some fluid (which I don't). It was just that first gear was first to go and so I thought it was not moving far enough. Mind you easier to change the master cylinder than the slave (and don't want to pull the engine/box out if I can help it!).
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The clutch actuating arm pivots on a small pin made out of a soft metal. I would suspect the pin has worn away and the actuating arm is now not properly located. Has the clutch recently become very heavy?

All the best

Keith
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith, now that's a good question! Don't think so but it does feel funny now. I have ordered a new master cylinder from my local autostore as I thought this would be a quicker option before pulling the engine/gearbox out. But I think you may be right (and trying to get them out of the Clan is going to be interesting). If it is as you suggest where can I get the new part?

Richard
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost guarantee that the fingers are worn through on the pressure plate especially if it has a few miles on the clock. Any hydraulic problems should be fairly obvious with leaks and fluid disappearing.
Sorry to take issue Keith but the pivot pin is a sping steel roll pin. Try cutting it with a hacksaw! They do wear over time however and are prone to enlarging the hole in the arm itself. When I looked for a second hand pressure plate at our local wreckers they had over 100 and only one was useable.
REgards Eddie
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie, acctally both of you can be right.
Pin itself in most of cases usualy makes bigger hole on fork, and new fork is needed but they also tend to sway/bend, brake, come out or even fall out.

regards,
325i

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same prob and it was the gear linkage retaining clip that had come off

first gear was hard to get at first and then all gears where hard then nothing and gear stick felt lose
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

One on my old Sprint was a fairly soft metal. May not have been original I suppose. It wore allowing the clutch arm to move, and resulted in a far heavier clutch.

I would suspect the main thing that would wear out the metal fingers is a seized thrust bearing, and these tend to make a lot of noise and you can feel it through the clutch pedal as the bearing cuts into the metal.

All the best

Keith
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to think back to when it failed, then the clutch may have started to feel funny. Problem is that when you drive your normal family car and then get in another, it always feels strange. Anyway I haven't lost any fluid (hence I think the slave cyclinder is OK) but the master cyclinder has just arrived at my local car shop so will try that first. The other problem with taking the engine and gearbox out is that you start to think what else should I do when its out (cam belts, synchro...........!). Anyway if the engine comes out, then I will change the slave cylinder as it looks to be a real pain to change (suspect the thing will be stuck solid to the engine).

Richard
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: