Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Locked Out!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Locked Out!!! Reply with quote

Help!! I've managed to lock myself out of my 1.5ie (fitted with series 2 door handles if that makes a difference..). I can't leave the car where it is after Sunday night and desperately need in to it. Has anybody any ideas about the least destructive way in? I've tried other keys, but ironically the locks seem strong! I removed the window seal strip on the driver's side but can't see down to try anything at the moment (Glasgow sunshine!) Please... Anybody!!!

Cheers

Paul
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The door lock is kept solid to the door by a big circlip. So using a long screwdriver you can search for it and try to remove it.

If you remove it then you have to remove another circlip that connects the lock to various rods and arms which trigger the door locking mechanism etc. This specific circlip sits in an indented area in order to be safe for not being dropped out due to vibrations etc.

All these in theory sound ideal but actually it is a hard job since the window blocks the way and there is not enough space to move.

Have you tried to move a window with a flat screwdriver?
Many years ago we had been locked out of the car and with the help of a big screwdriver which was pushing the window down (just a few mm) and a piece of wire which acted like a hook, we managed to pull out the door lock button.

Hope this helps,

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might sound horrible, but the same thing happened to our 33 when it was at the garage in Brussels. The mechanics simply got a screwdriver, and levered the top corner of the door open, allowing them to pull up the plastic lock thing from inside. The door clapped back into its original position, no damage done. Just be carefull for paint damage!

Razz
dave
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: re locked Reply with quote

hi you should be able to pull door out slightly at top and with a piece of string lower on to locking push button and pull up should do job let us know how you get on
also fearing the worst you can pop back quarter light window thats what the thieving gits did when they broke in my sport wagon
dave
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Back In!! Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice! I managed to prise back the door frame and slide in some looped plastic packing strip from the side to grip and lift the button. The window frame seems very resilient and shows no sign of damage after entry!
Thanks again for your help, I'll treat battery swaps and the central locking with more respect in future...
Cheers,

Paul Doc
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know how you actually did this?????? My car is done such that if you lock the doors before you shut them, they will unlock when shut. Which means it is actually impossible to lock keys in your car, and the car must be locked by a key in the exterior lock! HOW on earth did you do it??
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, the plastic thing actually does not go all the way down if you have the door open ...

Strange ...

Regards,

paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have got me curious too. From what I understand, it has something to do with disconecting the battery?!

I know that when you reconnect the battery with the doors unlocked, the doors lock and then unlock quickly. I am not sure what happens when you try this with the doors locked though - whether they will unlock? It might actually be a good way of getting into an Alfa 33 Laughing

Getting into an Opel Kadett is easier from what I have seen - sometimes one can simply ' push' the side windows down, as the winding mechanism is so loose.... Laughing
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Locked Out Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what happened either! Laughing
I had been in the car,engine running. Switched off ignition and went round to the front of the car to swap in a new battery - original rather low since the car had been sitting for a while. The driver's door had fallen shut.
When I disconnected the battery the doors locked, ie. doors closed-locks open-disconnected the battery-locks shut by themselves. Connecting up a brand new battery did nothing - neither did connecting/disconnecting it again and again in a growing panic!!
I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why since, as pointed out above, I'd have expected the doors to unlock if anything...
Oh well, guess I'll just keep that big screwdriver handy!

Paul
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After a quick glance at our Haynes Merc workshop manual the writer says that when replacing the battery, be sure to have the keys next to you as connecting again the leads might trigger the door locking mechanism.
Never leave the keys on the ignition or inside the car with the doors closed.

In my Alfa when connecting the battery the locks instantly sound as if they are about to lock - but with a closer look to the plastic black thing you can notice movement not more than 1 mm.

Regards,

paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that must be what I experience as well - I have never actually looked at the door locks themselves, but do hear the 'clunk clunk' sound.

Maybe it is also a good idea to simply keep the windows down when changing the battery as an extra precaution.

On the subject of batteries, I have read that it is always advisable to disconnect the terminals during charging. Is this really necessary, or is it sufficient to simply pull off the red+ terminal? Is it because the current will flow through the rest of the car before entering the high resistance battery? I have charged batteries before without removing terminals, and have never experienced any problems...but nowadays I remove the +lead just to be sure.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As far as the terminals connected to the battery when it is under charge, it is somehow not advisable as there is danger for the ignition been turned on accidentally which will lead to burning the charger and whatever is on the way of the high Amps that will be produced.

In my opinion one should remove both leads of the battery to charge it on the car if otherwise is feeling bored to remove it.

Regards

BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all the doors are closed and you connect the battery then they will lock(happend to me once,i had the spare key close to me).If even one door is open the relay tryes to lock the doors but vainly.You cant use the central lock if one door is open or not firmly closed,it will unlock immediately.
ak86351

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallo..if u had bent the door in order to open the car, beware if the paint "broke" on the basis of the window ..

after you reposition the window, examine it in high speed to see if it is attached ok.. (mine does make sounds after 90-100 mph but probably should not read up there)..
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that I've experienced both scenarios mentioned!
When I reconnect a battery on my P4 the doors make the "clunking" noise as if the central locking is activating, yet they stay unlocked...
On the 1.5ie I was in a hurry and must have shut the driver's door after jumping out. In this instance (as I found out!!!) the central locking did lock itself. Both are '91 model cars, but then again both are Alfa 33s! Perhaps it's time I picked up a second key...
As far as "bending" the door goes, I levered as near the top of the window as I could and only far enough to get the plastic wrap through the rubber door seal. There's no paint damage at all and no wind noise (although I haven't been doing 100mph in it Officer!!).
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some of you have heard of russian keys, well here is web page with them on offer.
Unfortunatly most of them are used for making other car owners Crying or Very sad
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.auto-key.com/pages/catalog/auto.htm

U mean this one? Actually, those are German precision tools. There does not seem to be an Alfa specific key in their catalogue though but probably one of the generic ones will fit Very Happy
2003 156 JTS Selespeed SW
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I meant that one Embarassed
Probably Alfas are so easy to enter that you can do it without anything.
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pretty cool site!

Imagine the looks you would get, trying to enter a car in Tesco's car park with this key set Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: