Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Oil Sensor

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Oil Sensor Reply with quote

How bad is it that my oil sensor light is coming on when engine idling even though there is plenty of oil. Could there be a problem with the oil pump?
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:DHi...
Bad news Sad ...The light itself warns for low oil pressure, so its time to get the oil pump checked... Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Sensor Reply with quote

paulhide wrote:
How bad is it that my oil sensor light is coming on when engine idling even though there is plenty of oil. Could there be a problem with the oil pump?

while its possible that your pump is not running 100% ive heard its not uncommon for the light to come on after the engine is worked hard... anyone else heard of this being common before
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
while its possible that your pump is not running 100% ive heard its not uncommon for the light to come on after the engine is worked hard... anyone else heard of this being common before

Never heard of this before... Only ocasions for the light to come on, are, running with low oil, and low oil pressure

regards
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

Dont forget the italian electrics factor. The oil pressure gauge in my sprint and the oil pressure warning light in my x1/9 were both dead when I got them. A bit of cleaning up the earths and they both came back to life.

If after cleaning up connections the oil pressure warning light still comes on at hot idle, or at all, it is indicative of either low oil level, or more likely, a worn engine. To be fair, the latter situation isnt actually desperately serious / urgent to fix. A sudden drop in oil pressure is a far more serious situation than wear and tear.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine was rebuilt supposedly 16,000 miles ago. Even though oil near top of dipstick-max added a bit extra and it seems fine at the moment. I had originally just given it a thrashing and the engine does seem to run a bit hot, using the fan rather a lot.
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 1989 164 V6, the light used to flash every now and then regardless of engine rpm. The gauge still showed good pressure so I was not worried. Changing the sensor fixed it and it was only a few euros. However, if the light flashes only at idle when the pressure is lower than at speed, I would be worried and not drive the car at all before checking the oil pressure with a pressure gauge! Oil pump problems do happen.
2003 156 JTS Selespeed SW
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definitive answer is to fit an oil guage. Low pressure at idle is not necessarily serious if the pressure at revs is adequate But it certainly is worth monitoring.
Regards Eddie
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so how do I fit an oil gauge and what kind of pressures should the engine run at? Question
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

Have you tried cleaning the electrical connections yet?
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not yet, but will do. Thanks for your comments and good luck with your car.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I am just fitting an oil gauge to mine. I bought it from Raceparts UK who supply Racetech gauges - which are very good and accurate and light up well at night. Saying that they sent me the wrong connector to connect it into the oil lines that go to the cooler on the track car. So I think for a while until I get the correct connector off them I will put it into the oil pressure port just above the oil filter. This means I think that I will have no light on the gauge for the low pressure for a while but mine runs good pressure anyway so this is not a particular problem for me. One I have all the right bits I will swap them around again. I am also installng a oil temperature gauge for good measure so that I can keep things in check.

I am going to fit the gauge over the weekend - so I will let you know. The Racetech gauges - which are a good motorsport quality are about £40 & VAT & post, but once you have it you can move it from car to car. The oil pressure on mine is about 80 psi when the engine is running at normal speed, but I think somewhere around 50 psi is not unusual. Once I have it fitted I will let you know.
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Oil pressure take off point Reply with quote

There is a (M14?) bolt at the top centre rear of the engine (below the dizzy) which is a nice spot for oil pressure sensor to sit. I have got my oil pressure there, and an oil temp in a 't' peice with the alfa oil low pressure sensor, by the filter. Works for me....

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum