Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Sensors & senders

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bellamachinna (n/l)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Sensors & senders Reply with quote

Hi

I want to fit an oil pressure gauge, in my 16v Cool . Its an gauge for an old Alfa (dont know what), but the manufacturing date of the gauge is 2 July 1969, with OLIO and the Alfa cross & snake on it.
Its a JAEGER instrument, and on the back of it, there are 3 connectors and a hole. The hole is to insert a lamp, and the connector close to the hole must be (-)Ground....
The other 2 sit parallel above and one is marked 12v and the other F9.
Is the oil pressure sensor (the one that makes the light on the dashboard work) enough to connect this gauge???-Or, i need another???
Sprint, Alfasud & even Series 2 1.5 QV, were factory fitted with oil pressure gauges. The Sensor on the engine, is different???
On those cars, were there 2 sensors???? (1 for the light & 1 for the gauge)
I need your help

Regards
J.Oliveira
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... Embarassed
It was me above...Forgot to log in...
AH....And it was not the 33 series 2 QV that was fitted with Oil Pressure information... Embarassed
It was the series 1 1.5 QV...
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Oil Pressure sensors Reply with quote

The sender fitted on the S2 and S3 are trip sensors, i.e. if the pressure is below a certain level, it sends twelve volts (or grounds out 12V to earth to make current flow) to the corresponding low oil pressure lamp in the display. What you need to make a gauge work is an analogue sender, that gives some response to oil pressure, no matter what it is, i.e. at 10 psi 1V - at 100 psi 11V, etc

Most oil pressure gauges have a lamp, so the display can be seen at night. The ground does sound like ground, 12V is obviously 12V from a fuse, from the battery, whilst the other pin is the feed from the sender. You would need to get the corresponding sendor to make it work, especially given its age, it may have had some odd way of working, especially given it is an alfa part.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy
Well, i“m confused... Confused
Went to an Alfa garage, to get the pressure sensor for an Sprint/S1 33 1.5 QV.
The guy told me that all sensors, are the same. S1/S2/S3 33“s all use the same pressure sensor... Question
I“m going to connect an multimeter to the sensor to check if it gives variable resistances...If it does, my problem is solved.
I always tought that S1 33/Sprint“s, had two wires coming from the sensor (1 for the light / 1 for the sensor), but the guy told me that the wire, somewere in the loom was splitted to the light and gauge.
I“ll keep you posted
J.Oliveira

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. I forgot...
The lighting is already solved... The bulb holder and lamp for the ashtray, fit directly into the hole...The negative wire that connects behind the ashtray cluster connected to the pin close to the hole in the gauge, turned the lights on and VOILĮ... Very Happy Very Happy
Already made a connection in the loom and picked an bulb hoder from another 33...
All that is missing is 12v and the signal from the sensor...
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy
Bad news...My sensor died on me... Sad .
On first place, i was puzzeled. When i went to the oil filter area, looking for the damn sensor...It wasnt there... Exclamation Exclamation
All my 33`s had the oil pressure sensor near the oil filter...But not this one. Its on the midle of the engine block (top), just bellow the distributtor.
Then i tried to use the multimeter, to see if, there were variable values...
The multimeter was with low battery, and right when i need it...Says good night, and sleeps on me.
Ok, then...Its not my day... Mad
Connected the sensor directly to the gauge, with wires, comming from the sensor and from the battery. With this set up, the nedle went till 8, and stayed there...Cranked the engine, and the needle droped to 0....
So the sensor is a switch (ON/OFF) only. The prob, was when disassembling, the test aparatus, disaster struck. The wire that was connected to the sensor touched the + terminal on the battery, and fried the sensor.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
The guy in the Alfa garage, wasnt correct. So Sprint and 33 S1 1.5 QV, must have 2 sensors, or at least one that closes the circuit with low pressure (Light), and gives variable values, to feed the gauge...
Anyone has the wiring diagram for those cars???
As im about to buy a new sensor, i would prefer to buy one that would give both information...
Help please....
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Doh Reply with quote

Do what I did, and get a gauge and sender kit. That way the sender will deffinetly work with the gauge.

Alternatively, you will need to find the sender that your gauge originally connected to, and use that. It sounds like you will have to look up alfas from 1969, to work out what it came from. However, it is going to be cheaper to buy a complete aftermarket kit of sender and gauge.

The senders will have a thread that will not generally fit your engine. You will have to buy an adaptor to change the thread in the engine block to match the sender. I was lucky and managed to find a manufacturer that offered the senders with different threads. I beleive the oil pressure take off point I used (top of engine, under the dissy) was an M14 1.5pitch thread.

Where your exisitng low pressure switch is fitted is the best place to fit a oil pressure sender. Move the low pressure switch to above the filter, as normal. It does sound wrong to have them fitted in the locations you describe.

Regarding the bloke in the alfa garage, he has probably not worked on the parts desk long, and probably doesn't know what a 33 or Sud is. Certainly my local Alfa main dealer doesn't even know what it is I drive when i turn up in any of my last two 33s. Ignore them, as they generally know nothing, and are incompetent. If you get hold of the parts CD (about 5-15 Euros on Ebay) you can tell them the part number, as you will know more than the parts man on 33s and suds. Trust me, they are morons, if it is anything before Fiat took over Alfa.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum