Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Faded Paint Work

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravi - not logged in

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Faded Paint Work Reply with quote

Hey All

It's been a while... anyhoo. Can any of you guys recommend me a product to restore faded paint-work?

My 33 has great duco everywhere except for the bonnet which has really faded and now looks "cloudy" for want of a better word. Conventional polishes do nothing as they just put a clear coat over the faded paint and i daren't cut the bonnet back because i think i'd hit primer!

So i guess i'm after one of those products that has a paint pigment in it, that will blend and really bring back the shine to my bonnet. Any recommendations? I've heard the T-Cut products are ok?

BTW - i'm an Aussie and my car is silver!

Thanks all.

R
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

t-cut is an abrasive. If the paints that thin (i doubt itd be a problem tbh), then your best bet is to just use colour polish - turtle wax do them etc.
Kiwi Sprint
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grab a dozen or two of the local favorite brew, drop into the local panel & paint shop on a Friday afternoon (when there all hanging out for that beer) & ask them to properly buff the hole bonet ( or maybe even the entire car Razz ) in exchange for a couple of dozen .
It will work ,trust me Wink

Previous alfas
94 155 V6
87 33 Ti
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoglym do a product called 'paint renovator'.

Pink bonnet became deep red. Try it... but go gentle!

Rob
john33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: metallic paint Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, but there is little you can do with cloudy metallic paint, other that respray. Sad

The silver base (matt) coat/s are applied under a clear laquer, which gives the depth and shine.

If the base coat looks even and solid, it may be worth cleanning off any polish, and trying to spray on a coat of clear laquer, which is available in aerosols in the uk. Smile

It seems impossible to get any single pack/ acrylic laquer anymore for spraying thru a gun, as well as cellulose paint. The nanny state/ europe protects us from harm once more!

John
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

Cellulose paints are still readily available from all car paint suppliers here in the uk
john33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: cellulose Reply with quote

Chris C wrote-''Cellulose paints are still readily available from all car paint suppliers here in the uk''

Hi Chris,

Where from?? I wish i could still get it.

I've had real difficulty in recent years. I live in Herts UK, and have tried suppliers in North London etc etc.

The last place I got any cellulose was Autopaint in Potters bar, but I think the franchisee went bust- possibly 'cos of dodgey colour matches!!

I bought my last mixed paint (verde met) from HALFORDS of all places. It was a kind of single pack acrylic (i think). It cost a lot for 1/2 litre, but was a fabulous colour match.

A bloke in a paint supplier told me that bodyshops use water based paint nowadays, and that he couldn't supply cellulose, because of lead content.

John
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

Actually ive only ever visited 3 paint suppliers exc halfrauds and they all did it - Wessex Autocolour is my localish one, then theres one - possibly called allpaints iirc on the Kiln lane estate in Epsom, Surrey, then theres another one down near Wessex AutoColour, their name escapes me as well but I could check if its that important, but really, its not difficult to find - otherwise many small bodyshops and hobbyists would be fresh out of luck. With all cellulose paint ive used precautions needed didnt extend beyond the usual make sure theres adequate ventilation, and wear a dust mask if you like.

Visit www.yell.co.uk and look up car paint suppliers.someone will be able to help.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: