Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Rims from Alfetta / AR 90 on a 33?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Rims from Alfetta / AR 90 on a 33? Reply with quote

Hello chaps. Smile

Since the 175/70-R13 rubber (which came standard on mine?) on my 33 is getting REALLY worn out, I've considerered getting some aluminium rims.

Now, I've considered going for 15" ones, but my dad keeps on telling me that that's a bad thing.. increasing the rim diameter with 2 inches, when the usual is 1. He says that It'll affect my mileage, acceleration and top speed?

So instead, I might go for 14" ones.
Now, we have these really really nice 14" magnesium rims in our workshop/garage-thingey, and he belives they are from an Alfetta or an Alfa Romeo 90, so my question is this:
Do the rims from an Alfetta / AR 90 fit on a 33?

The rims in question can be seen in this pic: http://www.alfauto.com.au/Images/our_wheels.jpg... First collumn, first row, and also: third collumn, second row)
Hmm... I think that's the ones anyway... >_>

Thanks in advance! Very Happy
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15" probably isn't too bad as many Alfa 33 came with 14x5.5 inch rims anyway so you could argue that it's only a one inch increase. But your dad is probably right... most people go way over the top with wheel sizes and just end up increasing the unsprung weight with their big wheels.

14x5.5 or 14x6 is probably the size to go for with 185/60-14 tyres, but what about the offset? What offset are these ones you are looking at?
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickest way would be to offer one up to see if it fits.
Then measure up from the rim to guage where the tyre will come to give you an idea if it will foul on anything...thats how ive done it in the past.
Ian
ns
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rims from Alfetta / AR 90 on a 33? Reply with quote

Wizz wrote:
Hello chaps. Smile
Now, I've considered going for 15" ones, but my dad keeps on telling me that that's a bad thing.. increasing the rim diameter with 2 inches, when the usual is 1. He says that It'll affect my mileage, acceleration and top speed?

Thanks in advance! Very Happy

Hi,
I have 15" with tires 195/50-R15 on my 33 and they are good. By wheelcalculator you can calculate that there is slight difference (-0.3%) on mileage and speed, also fuel consumption is little bit less. Finally, AR33 with 15" looks better.

NS
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think they bolt on but the offset is a bit out.

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/offsets.htm

All the best

Keith
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rims from an Alfa 90 should fit OK as the 33 Series I and II shared the same design.

I have 15 inch rims on my '93 33 from a 155 with 195/50 R15 Michelin Sport Exalto's. The looks are spot-on, and handling is amazing. Acceleration isn't really affected as the outer diameter of the tyre remains more-or-less the same.

In general, most drivers prefer the 195/50 R15 setup.

The only problems are:

The car tends to tramline easier on the motorway due to the wider tyres
Replacement tyres on 15" will be more expensive
Aquaplaning is probably more frequent (although grip on a moist road / track remains great)
Driving in snow would be more difficult

Later on in life, the 33 was actually offered with 15" Alessio turbo wheels. These were a twin set to the 14" P4 wheels (part no 60883172).

Ronal A1 wheels also look great on the 33, and certainly on the older models.

To be honest, the rims you are considering to put on the car are more suited to an older '80s model in terms of styling. They'll look great on an S1 or and S2, but on an S3 they might look a little out of place.
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpfull replys guys.

I've talked to a tyre-shop thingey last week, and the moment I mentioned the Alfa Romeo 33 he nearly started laughing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Long story short: I've ordered a set of 14" Borbet C rims (with 185/60 rubber IIRC), which will be custom made in Germany, and delivered in about 10 days.

I think they'll look rather nice. ^_^
The price will be around £500 for rims + tyres.
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

They dont look entirely dissimilar to tvr wheels - on the older ones anyway - griffith etc. Looks like it should be good - hopefully 4 stud pattern wont detract much from it.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good choice of wheel, as cooling for the brakes is excellent and the tyre size can remain original. Comfort will be great, handling will be great, looks will be fine.

The cost including tyres and balancing is also quite reasonable - what sort of tyres will you be using?

In fact Madeno Racing in the Netherlands also offer a similar wheel design on the Alfa 33 in 15, 16 and 17 (!) inch.

PS - when people laugh about the 33 they have no idea what they are missing. I've driven far more expensive Italian machinery, but the 33 remains the most characterful and forgiving car, despite having so many obvious everyday drawbacks. The 33 is not flawed, it's just an old car.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum