Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7 8v into series 3 1350cc 1991 alfa 33 ????

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olberto

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: 1.7 8v into series 3 1350cc 1991 alfa 33 ???? Reply with quote

hi im in ireland, im seeking some help/info..i have a 1991 alfa 33 with 1350cc twin weber 40idf engine..car shell and running gear is mint..70k miles fsh etc..engine runs erratic and there is water in front left firing chamber..would prefer a 1712cc from series 2 33/sprint..basically im seeking a decent 1712 engine and manifold and was wondering if i needed any different mounts etc..i assume all the wiring and carb linkages would be the same..fast road cams would be nice also..pls any1???i also have a 1993 33 1.5ie for parts and i guess i should change the diff as its a 9;37 like series 2 1712cc?? is this good idea??if any1 is interested in suppling parts/information id be greatful..cheers
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
The 1.7 8v carb engine will go straight in...Not needed any diferent mounts.
However when looking for an engine, get also the carbs. The 1.7 had different (Bigger) carb settings.
As for the gearbox, is a question of your preference. If you keep the 1.3 box, you will get an devil in standing starts, but loose a bit on top speed...
Also it would an good idea, to uprate your front brakes, to vented discs.
For this you will also need the callipers from an 1.7.
It also a good idea to switch your wheels to from 13`, to 14`items (if you havent done that alredy).
There are several other items that differ, but are minor issues (the shock absorbers have diferent rates, the springs, the interiors, the speedo, etc),
but as i said, the 1.7 8v engine will be a "bolt on" conversion.
Hope this helps...
J.Oliveira
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1350 with twin carbs had carbs with 28mm main venturi
1590 with twin carbs had carbs with 30mm main venturi
1712 with twin carbs had carbs with 32mm main venturi

So as Bellamachinna says, get the 1.7 engine with the correct carbs otherwise your engine either won't run right (not as a 1.7 should) or you will have to spend money getting your carbs sorted out.... more money than getting right ones in the first place.

Regards
Lex
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: