Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Hello everyone. New member coming back to the 33 - I think

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhall
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Hello everyone. New member coming back to the 33 - I think Reply with quote

Hi,
It's been four years since i got rid of my red 89 1.5 Ti and i still miss it. I've been through plenty of cars and have just had to sell my beloved Reliant Scimitar because my job now involves more miles and 23mpg just isn't on. I've decided on another Alfa, and until a couple of weeks ago i was going to get a 155 2.0 16v, but I just can't get the 33 out of my head.

I've just discovered this forum - it's great! and have noticed that a couple of you have thought about the change to a 155. I just wonder if it'll make me smile like a 33. Any thoughts?

What i really want is a late 16v 33 with the split-rim style wheels (speedlines?), relatively low mileage (below 90k) and FSH. Is this an impossible ask? Anyone know of one?
I hope i'm doing the right thing. Sorry to jump on here and bombard you with questions, but i'm getting all excited!
Cheers,
ED
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello everyone. New member coming back to the 33 - I thi Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I've just bought my 4th 33 P4 after my 155 2.0 16v got written off 2 weeks ago, and that was my 4th 155. I think both cars make me smile just as much as each other, but for different reasons, the 155 is a different kind of drive to the 33. Going from a 33 to a 155 will make the 155 seem soft and refined, but once you get used to it it feels just as alive. Likewise when i got back in a 33 from the 155 it seemed very harsh, but now i'm getting used to it again it's turning into pure fun.
In my opinion both cars are very capable, and can make you smile every time you drive them, and the harder you drive the more you smile! The 2.0 16v is probably the best balanced 155, the V6 is quicker but is and feels like a heavier car, just depends what suits you. Of course with the V6 you get the V6 soundtrack...
I think it's just personal preference, i can't think of a major advantage one has over the other except maybe that the 155s are newer and need less maintenence, but they still need maintaining. And probably slightly easier to get hold of parts.
Speed/handling wise i think you need good drivers on a track to separate them, the 33 feels quicker and feels like it handles better but i'm not convinced it actually does, the speedo reads a little slower than i expect at the moment.
I got the P4 cos it came up as i was looking for a car, i was also looking for a 155 V6 but would have had the 2.0 16v as well. I don;t think any of the other 155s in standard form are as good as these two.

So that's my tuppence worth, but then i've always been cheap Confused
Feel free to ask any specific questions about differences between the two.
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with you MT. The 155 feels like a softer and more refined ride compared to the 33. Coming from a 155V6 I don't really notice a great deal of difference in how fast the cars feel, just that the 33 sounds and acts a bit rawer than the 6 cyclinder. I think the build quality of the 155 is markedly better though and they don't rust at all unless they've been damaged in an accident. Probably a bit more reliable too but that's just an opinion at the moment as I've only had my 33 for a few weeks so far. I think on balance though the 33 is the more 'fun' car to drive and probably a bit cheaper too! That's my hope anyway....
edhall
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice - it confirms pretty much what i suspected. I might be going to have a look at a '93 33 16v. It's had one owner from new, done 61k, has the speedline rims, is white and apparently mint. However, it's for sale at a dealer and has absolutely no service history what so ever. He reckons he's written to the previous owner and heard nothing. Now this isn't good, but I suspect it might have got lost passing between dealers hands as it is low mileage and has matching Pirellis all round which point to it being cared for. He wants £995 but i think he'll come down.
What do you think? Worth a look? Can't seem to find anything else for sale other than a 96 155, 100k, 'extensive' ARSH, 2.0 at £875 ono.

Ed
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always worth a look Wink
If the 155 is a 2.0 '96 it's probably a 16v WB.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hello everyone. New member coming back to the 33 - I thi Reply with quote

edhall wrote:
I've just discovered this forum - it's great! and have noticed that a couple of you have thought about the change to a 155. I just wonder if it'll make me smile like a 33. Any thoughts?

Hi Ed,

I've had my 33 1.7 16v conversion for 5 years. I thought it was all I'd ever drive!! But last year I got tired of all the constant niggles and MOT failures. I got a 155 2.0 16v with 30k on the clock. It's a completely different beast - much more modern and refined than the old 33. However, it's still red -- and the engine roars just like I'm used to! It has NO RUST - and doesn't show any signs of rusting anywhere (touch wood) - which is not what I'm used to. The 155 is the only modern Alfa I can think of that is already a rarity in the UK. People still ask me what it is, and are impressed by its looks and performance.

I've still got the 33 (not decided what to do with her yet). Maybe somebody here might be interested in looking after her...

P.S. The major drawback with owning a 155 is that the owners' forum isn't a patch on this one Cool
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way that was me (it's been so long my login had expired!)
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also just gone from a 33 to a 155 2.0 ts but mine is an 8v (no cam belts) and yes it brings a smile to my face when I drive her.
She is much more comfortable than the 33 (theres even an armrest on the drivers seat) but I dont believe it to be as nimble as a 33,its handles nicely but doesnt turn in as well as a 33 you can feel the extra weight there fighting against you as you turn it in.
But once you get used to that she is alot of fun.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum