Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Koni struts on early 91 16V

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martini
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Koni struts on early 91 16V Reply with quote

I have a -91 16v with chassis number 05670539 and want to fit yellow konis and H&R lowering springs. Twisted Evil

I have everything ordered from alfisti.net i Germany but the shop wants to be sure I really can fit the konis to my struts before sending them to Sweden.

They say the konis will fit cars with lower chassis nr than 5455777 or if they have BOGE struts.

I have a higher chassis number (05670539) and an alfa garage changed to monroe struts some time ago. I had their article number (60561164) on an old receipt but they were surprised it was monroe and could not see that in their database. However, they thought maybe the monroes could be boge design.

Arrow Are Monroe 33 replacement shocks same as boge design?

Thanks,
Martin
arci_331,7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably they mean those with 3 or 4 screws at top... Ask them series 1 and 2 had 4 screws, 3 had 3.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
unfortunatly I can't help you with that because I have same problem with my Sachs for which I don't know if ther inside is similar enough to boge so that Konis could be fitted.
But you do have other option, and that is to try to find BOGE shocks from 16v on some car scrap yard.

2 arci series 3 (90-94), also had 4 screws on top unitl end of 92, begining of 93. Except Imola model which only had 3 screws on top.
Martini
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for freshing up my mind Tvatavuk.
My first idea was actually to buy used struts and mount the KONIS while still having the car on the road. That way I can maybe sell my quite new Monroes after the swap.

Did not think about that when these issues were adressed by the shop!

I'll check with the scrapyards and hope for the best

/Martin

tvatavuk wrote:
Hi Martin,
unfortunatly I can't help you with that because I have same problem with my Sachs for which I don't know if ther inside is similar enough to boge so that Konis could be fitted.
But you do have other option, and that is to try to find BOGE shocks from 16v on some car scrap yard.

2 arci series 3 (90-94), also had 4 screws on top unitl end of 92, begining of 93. Except Imola model which only had 3 screws on top.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
tvatavuk wrote:
Quote:
I have same problem with my Sachs for which I don't know if ther inside is similar enough to boge so that Konis could be fitted.

My 16v struts, had markings on them that said "SACHS/BOGE". Shocked
They were the struts that camed with the car when it left the factory, so, when i went to buy the Koni inserts, i bought the ones that fit on Boge...
No problem whatsoever... Cool
I believe that SACHS and BOGE, are made by the same factory, just have different logos/brand. Rolling Eyes
But if you are not certain, when buying the Koni inserts, measure the diameter of your strut and compare it with the diameter of the insert...
The inserts are a little thinner.
The Spica struts (never saw any, fitted on 16v), are a lot thinner, and the insert will not enter.
By the way:
After cutting the struts, and before fitting the insert, its a good idea to put some engine oil inside the strut. This will ease the efort of sliding the insert, and will act as a heat dissipator when the shock is working hard Idea -Just make sure that the washer/nut on the bottom of the strut, is well sealed. Embarassed
Hope this helps
J.Oliveira
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is true that Sachs & BOGE shocks are the same product which differ only to the packaging of them.

When I had to replace the original BOGE shocks in my 33, new BOGE ones costed 130€ more than Sachs. So, with a total cost of 260€, my Alfa now runs on Sachs all around.

Bellamachina, I have seen shocks intended for a 16V under the brand name Magnetti Marelli; my Alfa dealer told me this is actually a Spica product under the Marelli logo.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Thanks for that info.
I know that Sachs/Boge are same big company, but problem is that I replaced original Boge shocks (& thrown them away Crying or Very sad ) with Sachs. On their same site, shocks from Boge have different specs/details from Sachs.
There was once something somewhere about problems of fitting dual-tube? Sachs with Koni inserts, there was problem with inner construction of Sachs.
Anyway in my next visit to scrap yard boge shocks are on my list.
Martini
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Got'em Reply with quote

I have now found used BOGE struts from a very nice Alfa33 breaker here in Sweden. Less than 25 euros to solve the problem! Very Happy

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arci_331,7 wrote:
Probably they mean those with 3 or 4 screws at top... Ask them series 1 and 2 had 4 screws, 3 had 3.

Series 3 where also fitted with the 4 screw joints on top, in 1993 the ones with 3 screws entered....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: