Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Sprint a little hot under the collar

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Sprint a little hot under the collar Reply with quote

10 minutes to travel 1/4 mile in town due to festival goers here in Shepton resulted in my sprint getting a little warm. Just before reaching work I had the little red light come on, temp reading a bit under 100.

It seems ok, but its spat out a bit of coolant here, cant see any leakage from under the engine, it looks it came from behind the n/s wheelarch. Has it just steamed up a bit and chucked it out an overflow?

Perhaps a thicker radiator core would be in order.. and a shiney new leccy fan
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Overflow comes out behind ns driveshaft, so should be ok.

Did you put your heater on? In an emergency overheating looming situation, whack the heater on full blast to pull out some heat. You will sweat like Michael Jackson on verdict day, but could save a headgasket blow etc etc.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

yup, ive only ever owned one car that didnt heat up in traffic, so the heater trick is well known to me.
87sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: over heating Reply with quote

just a thought but...
are you sure alll the rest of your cooling system is in good nick - waterpump, thermostats, fan, hoses etc? its just that when everything works as it should the worst that should happen is the fan turning on and the temp leveling off - if it doesnt it would sound like theyre may be more to it. my sprint will sit in traffic in 30 plus degree and as long as the fan comes on its fine....
me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

not logged in, but its me.. I dont think the cooling fan is coming on. Im going to check it out tomorrow because its absolutely pissing it down here. Sounds like god doesnt like the glasto hippies! its all going off right over worthy farm, lots of fork lightning etc.

Maybe its a good thing i decided not to go this year.
GaryUK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fans are running when it gets hot then chuck a bit of Barrs Stopleak Tablet into the cooling system and see if this sorts out the failing HG otherwise get the Radiator fan/sensor sorted.
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: hg? Reply with quote

who said anything about a failing head gasket? nothing to support that conclusion. I also wouldnt be putting in anything to gunk up the cooling sytem if it was.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to fit two ventilators on my radiator on 33 16v. One was not quite sufficient even for 1.5 i.e. with AC. Now i'm constantly runing on 90+ °C when driving in town.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
My 16v also runs very hot. My temp. gauge sometimes indicates 110º.(sitting in traffic) Shocked
My water pump is new, the fan thermal switch is new, the thermostat is also new... Cool
I use Paraflu in the cooling system, and after a major flushing, there are no traces of brown gunk in the expasion reservoir. Cool
I never understanded why, the fan only cames on at 110º Sad Sad Sad .
During the summer, i´ve fitted a manual switch to turn on the fan, when it reaches the 80/90º, but its anoying because i´ve got to be constantly looking at the gauge... Evil or Very Mad
I dont think that this is normal, because i had several 33`s (mostly series 2), that the fan would turn on at 80º.
Somebody told me that series 3 16v run a bit hotter to improve combustion process, and emissions...But my car is not eqquiped with cat.
Also, my car doesnt maintain the temperature...
When i get some clear road ahead, the temp gauge starts dropping and during winter it goes down till 40º Question Question (during summer this is not so evident-it wil drop but only to 60º-at night).
This are 2 different problems.
-Fan only cames on at 110º (possible cause-fan thermal switch)
-Unable to maintain temperature at sustained speeds (possible cause-thermostat)
I`ve changed this lot, a while back with original Alfa parts, but nothing worked...
What do you think that this can be?
All the best
P.Camilo
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can only conclude that your radiator may be clogged and insufficient coolant is cooled down by dynamic air.

Just an idea.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 33 used to stay at around 80 until the mechanic thought this fan switch was faulty (turning fan off/on/off/on too frequently). He replaced it at no charge when he did the engine, and now the car gets up to nearly 100 in traffic before the fan comes on.
Once I get moving again, it'll cool down to 80 degrees.

I've recently seen an adjustable fan switch for sale in a car accessories shop - it has a temp probe which you put inside your radiator hose where the hose clamps to the radiator. That would be a good way to get some control over the cooling system.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
I also think that fan is suposed to turn on at around 80º. In my previous series 2, as soon as the needle in the gauge, got past the 80º mark, the fan started working.
This happened in 4 different 33`s (one 1.3s , one 1.7Q.V. and two 1.5TI).
One of these 1.5 was latter converted to 1.7 16v, but as i retained the fan thermal switch, the fan keept working at around 80º.
Also, i can´t have a clogged radiator. If i had the temperature would never stop increasing...
But as soon as i get less traffic, and speed encreases the temperature drops considerably. (with exterior temp. at around 30ºcels. the gauge gets to 70º-During the night, that gets even cooler-50º/60º).
Once, i even laughted at this. Before a trip by motorway of around 200Km, and after warming up the car (temp gauge was 70º, when started moving), when entered the motorway, and increased speed, i give a look at the gauge... Shocked Shocked . CAR WAS COOL (40º) Shocked Shocked
AHAHAHAHA bloody AH Sad
Someone already sugested that i should change the fan thermal switch, to one from a Renault 4 GTL, that is suposed to turn on the fan a bit sonner, but i got serious reservations about this.
Basically i needed a car that runned a bit cooler in traffic and hotter in freeway. Confused
Best Regards
P.Camilo
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
AFAIK when temp drops that rapidly on highway it is 100% sign that thermostat isn't closing all the way as it should be.
Also 16v engines have thermoswitch that should turn on at 92 deg C, and off at 86(87)C.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Yes, that was my guessing also. Confused .
But after changing the thermostat, for a new one, that didn´t solve the problem...
The car always did this, when i bought it... Confused
Suddenly the temperature, started increasing till 120º, and once i got the gauge warning light on, i understanded that something was very wrong.
I changed the thermostat, and the fan thermal switch, and flushed the system, but when testing the car, the temperature still went to the top... Shocked.
With the engine hot, my radiator was cool.-So i wasnt having any circulation at all. Took the water pump out, and discovered that, although
it looked alright, the inner plastic blades (that swirl the liquid), weren´t turning when i rotate the pump shaft. A new one was fitted, but the temperature remained going very hot in traffic (110º) and very cool on
highway.... Shocked
For now, i´ve got an provisory solution. I´ve fitted a switch to turn the fan on manually. When it goes beyond 80º/90º i turn it on.
Not the best solution, but it works.
All the best.
P.Camilo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: