Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Another P4 bites the dust!!!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Another P4 bites the dust!!!!! Reply with quote

Yesterday my wife was picking up the kids and the car died on her??,then exploded under the bonnet and burst into flames.
She JUST got the kids out,before the whole car(front & back)was alight!!.
Nothing left on the car ,its now just a bare shell. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
The main thing is that everyone got out ok.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Too bad to hear another Alfa is past ... Thank God you are all OK !!!

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eek!
lucky and unlucky then, my sympathies...maybe you could cut the floor tunnels and 4x4 out for someone converting a sprint? may salvage a few £
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must of been very frightening for them...glad they all ok tho.
Sorry about the car but you can replace that.
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear what happened but glad everyone made it out alright, fires can catch hold very quickly! Nightmare!
spooty22
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are all safe.

Do you know what went wrong? I once saw an Alfasud at a wrecker which had suffered a bad under-bonnet fire. The air conditioning compressor was the culprit. There was burned refrigerant everywhere. (Alfasud Gold Cloverleafs had optional air con in Australia)
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's terrible! I hope your wife and kids aren't too traumatised after that.
A similar thing very nearly happened to me a few days after I bought my car though, it just died on me at a junction for no apparent reason after a trip of about 1hr without any problems. I opened up the bonnet (as the traffic started to build up behind me) and was immediately greeted with a strong smell of petrol. Then I noticed a big pool of petrol appearing under the car! I pushed it into a layby and found that a fuel hose had come off that junction block thingy under the inlet manifold (16V) and had sprayed a good deal of petrol under high pressure over the whole of the block and exhaust manifold which was still baking hot after my journey Exclamation Exclamation
Needless to say when I got the thing home I replaced all the hoses and hose clamps. I found some of the hoses were also perished and splitting, probably the original ones from when the car was built in '92. I would advise everyone to check this on their car if they didn't already do it Exclamation
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear it but I'm glad that your wife and kids are ok, although it has surely been traumatic experience for them and they will remember that smell for rest of their lives.
Me and my girl had smoke & fire experience with P4 almost 3 years ago, when we smell anything similar: our harts double the beat, adrenaline jumps sky high...that smell is stored for good somewhere under panic folder in our minds.
And because it took me nearly a year to repair it, it was much harder for my girlfriend to gain enough trust just to sit in it. Time maybe heals wounds, but too much time and you forgot all those little good/enjoyable things about driving 33.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: fuel lines Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Wow, that's terrible! I hope your wife and kids aren't too traumatised after that.
A similar thing very nearly happened to me a few days after I bought my car though, it just died on me at a junction for no apparent reason after a trip of about 1hr without any problems. I opened up the bonnet (as the traffic started to build up behind me) and was immediately greeted with a strong smell of petrol. Then I noticed a big pool of petrol appearing under the car! I pushed it into a layby and found that a fuel hose had come off that junction block thingy under the inlet manifold (16V) and had sprayed a good deal of petrol under high pressure over the whole of the block and exhaust manifold which was still baking hot after my journey Exclamation Exclamation
Needless to say when I got the thing home I replaced all the hoses and hose clamps. I found some of the hoses were also perished and splitting, probably the original ones from when the car was built in '92. I would advise everyone to check this on their car if they didn't already do it Exclamation
this is a good point - also make sure that when u have the fuel lines replaced to use the lines that suit the petrol you run on. i had the older leaded lines on my sprint that was running on unleaded - unleaded corrodes them like rust! Shocked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum