Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Gearbox overhauled OK...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
munro
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Gearbox overhauled OK... Reply with quote

I had the gearbox out of my series 2 1.7 8V twin carb for the usual dodgy 2nd and to a lesser extent 3rd gear. Unfortunately the synchronising rings were missing teeth on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th so just fitting new blocking rings was not the cheap answer i thought it would be.

I got a second hand box from Ebay for £50 UK pounds but it was from a 16V car - gear ratios are all the same but the 16V has a taller final drive ratio. So I made up one box out of the two. A bigger job than I had initially anticipated, but satisfying now it's done.

Alfa Romeo main agant parts supply was crap - they cocked up on price, availability, delivery time, and then got the wrong parts! All in all not a good experience with parts support!

Gearbox now fine - but having a running battle with a misfire from number 3 cylinder (offside rear) since refitting engine...that's another story.

My thanks to those on this web site whose postings encouraged me to have a go at the gearbox repair. As long as you are not changing out the final drive bearings there are no special tools required.

Happy motoring!
Munro.
Horizontally Opposed
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering for a long time but never posted this to the forum:

What if you actually fix the synchros and everything and make the gearbox as good as new... how long before it fails again???

Is there a way to make it 'normal'? That is: never to have to fix it again!
No worn synchros - no nothing!

Almost every car I've driven from the 90s or even before that has no problem with the gearbox(although they do have many other problems)! Why is it such a big deal for the 33???
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everone else's 33 have problems with 2nd and 3rd gear instead of 1st and 2nd gear like mine do? 3rd gear works fine.
Also trouble engaging 1st and reverse from neutral - try too soon and the gears are still spinning and will grind, try too late and gears are stationary and won't engage.

A certain Fiat Uno courtesy car I'm very familiar with has weak synchromesh on 3rd and to a lesser extent 1st gear. The change from first to second will never crunch no matter the rpm, meaning acceleration feels faster and easier than in a rickety 33. As far as I know it's just down to the design of the gearbox, the strength and number of synchro rings etc.
And we all know design is one of Alfa's strong points. Rolling Eyes
Horizontally Opposed
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is also with the 1st and 2nd. 3rd and 5th work fine but lately even 4th seems to crunch a little some times Sad
I'd like to overhaul the gearbox but if the problem comes back again after a year I'd better leave it as it is and save time and money...
wizard69
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 'modern' Alfa Dealers are actually FIAT dealers in disguise.

They will never have dealt with a 33 before or maybe only a very small number just after the FIAT take over.

Crap service is, sadly, more common than not.
Sad
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem lies also in the selector forks which wear heavily over time. This allows the sliding hub to tilt slightly and apply uneven pressure to the synchro, making it less effective. When my friend Glen and I rebuilt the box for one of our cars I built up the forks with Wearbraze ( which work hardens) and made a jig to remachine them in the lathe.
The box has been in for well over a year now and apart from a very slight "notchyness" ( not crunch) is excellent to drive and can change up or down at virtually any speed and with no pause. The harder you drive the better it likes it. The box was rebuilt with the best synchros from two so it doesn't even have the benefit of brand new synchros. Standard 33 1st and rev. selection procedures still apply.
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record i have occasional problems with 1st and 2nd, 1st feels like a linkage/bush problem, 2nd is definately synchromesh but only slight. no problems with any of the other gears.
Wonder what will break now i've said that...

Ta for the rebuild summary though Munro.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that perhaps the only 'cheap' solution to the Alfa 33 gearbox problem is learning how to double-de-clutch. It is a piece of cake once you learn how to rev match properly, and doesn't take any longer than a normal gearchange. Plus it makes driving more enjoyable. Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: