Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Re-conditioning a starter motor

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re-conditioning a starter motor Reply with quote

Does anyone have any (succesful) experience with re-conditioning a starter motor? Mine refused to turn the engine over at the weekend after having stopped for petrol, it was pretty hot mind and I'd been blasting down the German autobahn at 200kph for half an hour or so. Perhaps it just got too hot?
Can you clean up the starter solenoid or is it an encapsulated unit? Just like to know before I rip it out....
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have reconditioned mine about a month ago. This procedure involved taking out the motor (two nuts keep it in place) along with the solenoid.

The solenoid is easily taken apart and you will see a long spring and a piston. This cylinder when the solenoid is triggered pulls the meshing gear to the flywheel. Be sure to clean the internal part of the cylinder and the piston with petrol because dirt prevents the piston from returning back to its position resulting in crunching noise from the flywheel and engaging gears.

Next be sure to clean the rotor from dirt etc, polish the slip rings and why not replace the brush holder since it goes together with the brushes. This part is widely offered in auto parts store and be sure to have the S/N of the starter motor with you so that you don't get the wrong part and cause you trouble as had happened with mine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed procedure, Gritsop Exclamation
I guess I'll be busy again next weekend.....
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my starter motor but when I stripped it down I found that the commutator of the motor (i.e. the part of the rotor assembly on which the brushes bear on to) needed overhauling. The commutator is made up of copper segments with insulating segments between them. As the copper wears, the insulating segments start to protrude above the copper and then the brushes can no longer provide the current for the armature. When the motor is overhauled they grind the commutator and then re-cut the segments so they are recessed (if you see what I mean). So just have a look at the commutator and if it's smooth with no slots between the copper segments you will need to get it overhauled.

Hope that helps.

Richard
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I overhauled mine a few months ago, because sometimes it wouldn't work, especially when hot.
the fault was traced to the back of the solenoid in which power switching takes place. unfortunately it was not possible to dismantle this part but holes at the bottom of the solenoid allowed for cleaning (i washed the solenoid in a bath of lubricant spray (WD40) which is also a good contact cleaner/deoxidizer.
A few pictures are to be found here :
http://alfaimola.free.fr/technique/electricite/demarreur/index.html
Note that you have to scratch the paint near the bolts in order to get a good ground connexion between starter and engine.
besides, be sure to leave the bushings in an engine oil bath all night, they are porous and will drink oil ; this will ensure a few years of self-lubrication.

with best regards,
zp
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took it all apart last weekend but couldn't see anything obviously amiss. Brushes, commutator, bearings, epicyclic gearbox (that was a bit of a surprise!) engagement solenoid etc all looked fine but when I tried it on a spare battery it threw the pinion out ok but didn't turn the motor around. I think it must have been a problem with the high current switch not providing enough power to the motor. Anyway I picked up a complete spare starter from the local Alfa scrappy for 20 euros and that worked like a charm so in it went! I must say it's a lot easier than trying to bump start the car on your own Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: