Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

15" wheels on 33 16v Qv

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: 15" wheels on 33 16v Qv Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm the first to post here Very Happy

lol

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of offset would I need to fit 15" wheels (7" wide) with some 195/50r15 rubber, so that no involuntary rubbing goes around...

all the best

Sergio
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had the wheels and tires you mentioned on my alfa for some time without any mods to the car. However you could use some stiffer rear springs, especially with two people on the back seat, not to mention anythink (anyone?) in the trunk.

Marcin

need to use to the new form of this forum... but it looks great!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Although there isnt a link to it, there is a list of the offsets for wheels on the 33 site:-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/offset.htm

Just try and keep it about standard

All the best

Keith
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Offsets Reply with quote

Embarassed Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 33 has an original offset of 39mm, so if I place some 15"x7" wheels with a 35mm offset I shouldn't get any problems with rubbing on the inner parts like struts, shocks, etc. On the other hand if I decide to fit some wheels (teledials 15"x6") off a 145 QV (50mm) I will need some wheel spacers (about 15mm wide) to fit the wheels...

I'm not very sure about this...

All the Best

Sérgio
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Pretty much. You want to keep the offset about standard, not only because of the tyres rubbing but also to avoid screwing up the suspension geometry. As I understand it, if you change the offset then you are changing where the stresses from the wheels are acting on the suspension (ie, if the wheels offset is 50mm different then the centre of the wheel is moved 50mm in towards the car, which will cause a large bending force on the suspension arms, along with extra stress on the wheel bearings)

All the best

Keith
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: offsets Reply with quote

Thanks Keith,

Is it pretty much i'm right or pretty much I'm wrong?

Do you think a 35mm offset wheel to much? Sorry I'm bothering you... It's just a matter I don't understand very well, and I'm thinking of fitting 15" wheels because My rear wheels are squarish...

By the way, as I said in the email I sent you, I'll mail you on Monday.

Thanks again

All the Best

Sérgio
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am no expert on this, but I would think that only a 4mm difference would be acceptable, and should not cause any problems.

However it is probably worth keeping an eye on tyre wear and the wheel bearings for a while

All the best

Keith
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Offsets Reply with quote

Thank again Keith

All the Best

Sergio
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offset on my Azev 7x15 rims is 30 mm, and it works just fine. But if I were you I would go with a slightly smaller offset, maybe 25, to get the rims all the way out in the arches. There are pictures of my car in the gallery.

Cheers
Michael

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Offsets Reply with quote

Hi Michael

I'm sorry to ask you a stupid question but what do you mean by " to get the rims all the way out in the arches"?

Best regards

Sergio
sslim
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Offsets Reply with quote

you are right. Mr. Green

original 33 14" wheels are 39mm offset, and the rear tyres are already quite close to rubbing the suspension.

so you can't run the 15" 145QV wheels with 49.5mm offset. if you want to run those wheels you will need to get a set of 12-15mm spacers for all 4 wheels, to get the offset out to about 34.5mm. give a few more mm of clearance because you will be running wider tyres, and the 145QV is also wider.

by the way, the lower the number in offset, it means how far the wheel will protrude out of the wheels arch. so if you run a 10mm offset wheel, your wheels and tyres will be out of the car body. Shocked

i am running 15" wheels with 35mm offset, and 195/50R15 tyres, everything works great. my friend's 33 is running the 145QV wheels and he need spacers.

hope that helps. Very Happy
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: 15" wheels on 33 16v Qv Reply with quote

Thanks sslim, thats what I wanted to hear Laughing

All the Best

Sergio
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some rwd cars will have negative offset wheels.

As I mentioned earlier it is important to keep the offset about correct, no because of clearance problems but to avoid overstressing suspension components

All the best

Keith
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith

Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind.

All the best

Sergio
Zep
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I have fitted 7 x 17 plus 205/40/17 tyres. My offset is ET35, and the wheel is pretty close to the forward arm of the rear suspension.

There has been little adverse effect to the handling (in fact the extra grip is great), but a little tram linning can be felt on poor surfaces.

The effect on the handling should be your number one consideration. The additional stress, if any, is going to be well within the design limits of the suspension set up. The standard parts are well up to the stress of racing on slicks, so a little bit of offset will not make any difference.

Zep
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zep wrote:
The additional stress, if any, is going to be well within the design limits of the suspension set up. The standard parts are well up to the stress of racing on slicks, so a little bit of offset will not make any difference.

Hi

To an extent I think you are correct. However if the offset gets too far out then what would be an acceptable normal stress becomes a bending force on the suspension. Various parts of the geometry are designed to conicide around the centre of the wheel where it meets the road, and changing the offset means this will no longer be true. It will put extra stress on the wheel bearings and ball joint (along with stuff like the suspension arms that generally do not give problems on the 33).

While they can take the stress of racing on slicks, this is only for a tiny number of miles. For example there are loads of lightweight race wheels available for motorcycles which are fine for track use but cannot take the stress of road use for very long.

With a 35mm offset you are fairly close to standard and I would not expect that to cause a major problem

Some cars have had problems with collapsing suspension arms (Vauxhall / Opal Calibra for example I think) which are often blamed on poor quality replacement suspension arms. However it still takes a hell of alot of force to bend these arms

All the best

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieth,

I completely agree, and I think that in the end, the two go hand in hand.

If the offset is miles out, the handling will be crap, the forces will be going in the wrong places and the wheels will be hitting into all sorts of suspension parts or body work.

Zep
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: offsets Reply with quote

Sergio wrote:

Do you think a 35mm offset wheel to much? Sorry I'm bothering you... It's just a matter I don't understand very well, and I'm thinking of fitting 15" wheels because My rear wheels are squarish...
Sérgio

Hi Sergio,

I have 7x15" OZ Superleggeras ET 35 on my 33 16v Permanent 4, also friend of mine had 33 1.5 i.e with Momo 7x15 et 35mm rims. 195/50/15 tires

We both had problems with rear tire and even rim rubbing while very hard cornering of fully loaded, on to inner part of wheel spring mount.
3mm-5mm spacers did them almost right.

I say almost because now when fully loaded and hard cornering or bigger hole while speeding outer side of tire rubs wheel arch, or inner part rubs spring mount.

In any case with worn shocks even with distancers, it would touch.

Tino
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: offsets Reply with quote

Hi Tino

I'm thinking of fitting some tecnomagnesio Indianapolis wheels, that are 6,5x15" in size (I don't know the ET, but probably will be ET 35).
I was also thinking about fitting som michelins exalto 195/50R15.

Do you think I'll have any trouble?

BTW, I have new shocks all round (Monroe Reflex - Gas charged)

All the BEst

Sérgio
sslim
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: offsets Reply with quote

"I have 7x15" OZ Superleggeras ET 35 on my 33 16v Permanent 4, also friend of mine had 33 1.5 i.e with Momo 7x15 et 35mm rims. 195/50/15 tires
We both had problems with rear tire and even rim rubbing while very hard cornering of fully loaded, on to inner part of wheel spring mount ...."

hi tvatavuk,

may i know if your car is lowered?

on my 33 16v sw, i am running the exact same size wheels, with same offset, and same size tyres but i don't think i have that problem. my car is not lowered.
Confused
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: offsets Reply with quote

sslim wrote:

hi tvatavuk,
may i know if your car is lowered?

on my 33 16v sw, i am running the exact same size wheels, with same offset, and same size tyres but i don't think i have that problem. my car is not lowered.
Confused

Hi SlimShady Wink,

P4 has by factory settings highest rear, even higher then 8v 33s.
On the other hand next month it will be 11 years old, so springs aren't what they used to be.
As I said I had problems only with extrime cornering.
SW is somewhat different from Berinle version so that could be also reason why you don't have any problems.

Do you have problems or not is easy to see.
Take go to back of car, and take a look, at upper spring mount (or tube above which protects shock arm ), if you can see that part and it is polished or black, it is place where tire is rubbing.

Tino
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: offsets Reply with quote

Sergio wrote:
Hi Tino

I'm thinking of fitting some tecnomagnesio Indianapolis wheels, that are 6,5x15" in size (I don't know the ET, but probably will be ET 35).
I was also thinking about fitting som michelins exalto 195/50R15.

Do you think I'll have any trouble?

BTW, I have new shocks all round (Monroe Reflex - Gas charged)

All the BEst

Sérgio

Hi Sergio,
will they rub or not I can't tell you, rims of that size are usualy 7", but 195 tire will fit nicely on 6.5 also, because for 195 tire recomended rim is 6.0".
In case you experiance tire rubbing at back, with ET35, you could need some 3-5mm of spacers (i would recomend with hub ring for better centering)

I had Monroe gas-o-matic at rear Mad , and there is nothing good I can say about them, my rear bounced like basketball when new, and they failed in less then 3 years.
At the moment I have Koni sport (yellow at mid setting) at rear, and 2 problems I have with them is that they are oil kind (so compared to gas type they don't hold car at some level), and I can hear them "breath" when driving over bumps.
Of corse someone could say that they are to stiff Smile

About Pilot Exalto, some people here change them on half of their life time, not because they don't have grip any more, but because lagre amount of them at some point start to produce, terrible humming noise.
This of course depends on type of road surface.

Tino
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Ronal A1 Reply with quote

What about 7x15" Ronal A1 on a 1992 33 QV 16V? Question
Any experiences with that? The rims have a ET of 25mm...
The rims just suits the 33 so perfect, but I don't want to
destroy my bushings and bearings.

Regards,
'69 Giulia Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: