Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Which Plugs are best for eight valvers?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OK so which plugs are best for eight valvers
Golden Lodges
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Bosch super 4
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Bosch single electrode
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NGK
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Which Plugs are best for eight valvers? Reply with quote

Well somebody asked for it.
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Plugs are best for eight valvers? Reply with quote

paulhide wrote:
Well somebody asked for it.

Hi paul

ive put bosch super 4s in my hf turbo 8v 33 and now the 16v seem ok

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this the Racing forum, then I guess we must be talking about plugs for a raced tuned engine under racing conditions. Not sure if many are using Golden Lodge in their race engines.

I've used a Champion racing plug in my alfasud 1.5 ti with raised compression and other mods - the plug is Champion C57YC but have heard of plenty using NGK for racing with good success.
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - the poll should perhaps be in the general section. I think that most people are just voting on the basis of road cars.

For racing cars, I will agree that the standard Golgen Lodge plugs are probably far from ideal, with the higher RPM / temperatures involed.

Still - interesting to know what type of plugs are ideal for both racing and regular road use.
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddy granger wrote:
Good point - the poll should perhaps be in the general section. I think that most people are just voting on the basis of road cars.

Unfortunately, unless we know what sort of engine state of tune and what sort of racing (or not racing) we are talking about, it's all pretty meaningless.

Which is a pity... it could have been interesting to see what people are using in their eight valve race engines. I've been happy with the Champion C57YC race plug... even worked fine for limited road use... driving to and from the track. No problems with fouling, even though it has a shorter insulator nose than most plugs I've seen in boxer engines... but always keen to know what other options are out there for race use.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone explain to me what the heat ratings of plugs refer too and how they affect things? what rating ar GL's? Confused
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
can someone explain to me what the heat ratings of plugs refer too and how they affect things? what rating ar GL's?

That's a big question.... will try to keep it simple.
Plugs can be classified as 'hot' or 'cold'.

'Hot' plugs head up quickly and are good for slow speed running, short trips, which they can handle well without fouling... while 'cold' plugs are built to remove heat from the combustion chamber which means they don't overheat under sustained high speed running. When plugs overheat it can lead to pre-ignition and engine damage.

In general, the higher performance engine needs a colder plug. If the engine is modified with high compression, or turbocharger etc, then you probably need a colder plug than the original supplied with the car. In the old days, with some cars, the drivers needed to change plugs depending on what type of driving they were doing.

Modern plugs used with modern high energy ignition systems mean that it is possible to run a single plug over a wide range of conditions.

Each plug manufacturer has there own numbering system.
From Hot to Cold...

Lodge: HL--2HL--25HL
NGK: BP5ES-BP6ES-BP7ES-BP8ES
Champion: N11YC-N9YC-N7YC-N6YC
Bosch: W8DC-W7DC-W6DC-W5DC

Note.... none of the above should be considered any sort of recommendation or equivalence chart.... sometimes there is no exact equivalent plug. Plus the numbers and letters refer to many other things than just the head range... most plug makers have that sort of data and application charts on their web sites.

Hope that helps...
Lex

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy ahhh that does help thanks. so with regards to the golden lodges (for the boxer) they are the 25hl and thus on the cold end of things...
alexj wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
can someone explain to me what the heat ratings of plugs refer too and how they affect things? what rating ar GL's?

That's a big question.... will try to keep it simple.
Plugs can be classified as 'hot' or 'cold'.

'Hot' plugs head up quickly and are good for slow speed running, short trips, which they can handle well without fouling... while 'cold' plugs are built to remove heat from the combustion chamber which means they don't overheat under sustained high speed running. When plugs overheat it can lead to pre-ignition and engine damage.

In general, the higher performance engine needs a colder plug. If the engine is modified with high compression, or turbocharger etc, then you probably need a colder plug than the original supplied with the car. In the old days, with some cars, the drivers needed to change plugs depending on what type of driving they were doing.

Modern plugs used with modern high energy ignition systems mean that it is possible to run a single plug over a wide range of conditions.

Each plug manufacturer has there own numbering system.
From Hot to Cold...

Lodge: HL--2HL--25HL
NGK: BP5ES-BP6ES-BP7ES-BP8ES
Champion: N11YC-N9YC-N7YC-N6YC
Bosch: W8DC-W7DC-W6DC-W5DC

Note.... none of the above should be considered any sort of recommendation or equivalence chart.... sometimes there is no exact equivalent plug. Plus the numbers and letters refer to many other things than just the head range... most plug makers have that sort of data and application charts on their web sites.

Hope that helps...
Lex

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on the 164 2.0, the plugs are 25 HD. But oddly, Bosch recommend the same plugs as for the 33 from (their single electrode range).
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using bosch W5DP. Quite hard to crank. So far had no problems with it. Does anyone knows more about this plug. The dealer said this range was only more popular with the old 911 owners.
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from that, is it possible to use 2HL on a boxer lump?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: