Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Alfa 33 1.5 qv

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnlamd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Alfa 33 1.5 qv Reply with quote

I finaly got my qv running but I have some problems still:

The waterpump is sqeeling on certain revs. I want to know of this is normal when the car has not run in a while (not since -94)?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not usual, but not surprising. Is it the belt that is squealing or is it the actual pump?

All the best

Keith
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to check that but i have also noticed a knocking sound in the engine. It's like a knock that follows the revs even without any load on the engine. I've recently installed new main and big end bearings at the sime time i reground the crankshaft. Tips?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The knock is worrying. It is normally big end bearings that knock (although I think little end bearings will as well). Maybe you need to check the crank again. Valves normally make a lighter tapping sound (for example if the hydralic tappets are not working correctly)

All the best

Keith
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ths is a "old style" boxer so it hasn't got hydraulic tappets. It uses shims istead, just like the 2.0 twink. I'd hate to tear down the engine again so i'm going to eliminate a few sources before. Like the timing is off and the exhaust is leaking badly. I've got a whole box of assorted main and big end bearings I got with the car and i remembrr that one piston requiered a thinner bearing. Could that be the culprit? It was kinda hard to identyfy all the boxes with bearings so i fitted the one with the least play without sticking the big end. The pistons have one size and one, nuber one i think, has a thinner bearing. It was the previous owner who reground the crank so i don't know how muck he shaved off. So finally, if i have to tar it down. Is it possible to do this with the engine still in the car?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think it is possible to fit new big end and main bearing shells with the engine in the car, but I dont think you can easily remove the pistons and con rods without removing the engine (anyone else know for sure?)

Maybe it is worth taking off the sump plate and feeling for any play in the big end bearings?

All the best

Keith
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just have to find me som plastigauges then. I'll keep you posted...

http://www.alfapower.nu/gallery/album76/aah
Gary UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an engine heater mains plug sticking out the front of the car?? It looks cold there. I bet U love the 33's renowned internal heater.
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car has got DOUBLE heaters. I bet someone was afraid it wouldn't start. Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: