Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7 8v and 1.7 16v

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: 1.7 8v and 1.7 16v Reply with quote

Hi guys any idea where I can find some pics of both a 1.7 8v combustion chamber and the same for a 16v
I.E pics of the cyl heads with views of the valves and pistons within the block
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Combustion chambers Reply with quote

Hi,

I have 16v heads on my bench and 8v heads on my mate's bench, both 1700. My camera is at work but I will get some photos taken in the next day or so and let you have them.

May be a bit grubby but I will try and clean them off.

Regards
Chris
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Surprised
If you have any of the piston tops it would be useful too

Thanks
Guy
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

do you mind me asking why you want pictures of this?.....are you trying to measure tha valve to piston clearance???.....look in the expensive mistake section for some pictures of the 16v combustion chamber......I have never seen an 8v combustion chamber.
Alan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I won't bore you with the (expensive) reasons, but I've got a 16v and 8v engine in bits at the moment, and have heads and pistons. So if you can't get piccys from anywhere else, let me know (alan.abbey@ntlworld.com). I'll have to scrouonge a digital camera to do the honours but that's not too much of a problem.

Cheers,

Alan
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was asking as wondered if 8v pistons could be used in a 16v motor to lower the compression ratio if you pocketed the 8v pistons.
Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: 16v pistons Reply with quote

Spyderman wrote:
Was asking as wondered if 8v pistons could be used in a 16v motor to lower the compression ratio if you pocketed the 8v pistons.

Spyderman - the height from gudgeon pin centre to piston top face on the 8v a lot greater than the 16v piston. So if you put an 8v piston in a 16v block with 16v crank, the 8v piston would stick out of the top of the block a long way - several mm.

I've done the opposite swap - I use 16v pistons in an 8v block / crank, and have then fitted 16v heads. Because the 16v pistons were a lot shorter, I had to have approx 2.5 mm taken off the block to get the correct comp ratio again.

Hope this helps.

Alan
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is of any use, but a friend lowered the CR of his Triumph Trophy 'bike, (to drive from Australia to UK via India, many years ago), by fitting two head gaskets.

This lowered CR enough to run on almost paraffin, but these were thick copper asbestos gaskets. The advantage was he could change it back easily when he could get good fuel again.

Don't know if this would work with Alfa engine, depends if enough slack in the cambelts. (and how much reduction in CR you need)
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Laki
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have som pictures from when I was converting my 1.7 to 16V....Not higres, but It might help.....dont know where to put them though

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan you replied with
"Spyderman - the height from gudgeon pin centre to piston top face on the 8v a lot greater than the 16v piston. So if you put an 8v piston in a 16v block with 16v crank, the 8v piston would stick out of the top of the block a long way - several mm.

I've done the opposite swap - I use 16v pistons in an 8v block / crank, and have then fitted 16v heads. Because the 16v pistons were a lot shorter, I had to have approx 2.5 mm taken off the block to get the correct comp ratio again. "

Does this mean there are differences in throw on a 16v crank to 8v. Or is it conrod differences.

I got the impression just the heads and piston were different
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: 16v chamber Reply with quote

Image of 16v chamber below,

hope it helps...

http://www.gpsworld.co.uk/images/alfa/p1010630_a.jpg

Rgds Chris[/img]
Laki
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can lower the heads still another mm...
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyderman wrote:
Alan you replied with
"Spyderman - the height from gudgeon pin centre to piston top face on the 8v a lot greater than the 16v piston. So if you put an 8v piston in a 16v block with 16v crank, the 8v piston would stick out of the top of the block a long way - several mm.

I've done the opposite swap - I use 16v pistons in an 8v block / crank, and have then fitted 16v heads. Because the 16v pistons were a lot shorter, I had to have approx 2.5 mm taken off the block to get the correct comp ratio again. "

Does this mean there are differences in throw on a 16v crank to 8v. Or is it conrod differences.

I got the impression just the heads and piston were different

Spyderman - the 1700 uses the same rods as the 1500, and the crank has increased stroke ... around 72mm I think ... hence the need for lower pin to crown height on the pistons. I've actually used some 1700 rods in my engine - no special reason, just that they were available.

Cheers,

Alan
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean you were building a 16v 1500 as that would make more sense
Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 16v 1600 ..... 87mm pistons from 1700 in a bored out block from a 1500, and 1500 crank ... equates to 1598cc. Done this way because it's for a rally car, for the up to 1600cc class.

The 1500 block can be overbored to 87mm .... I built mine in 1997 and it survived until November last year when it cracked in two bores. So now I've just collected a freshly machined block, and will start the rebuild this week.....
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, another way is to use 8V con-rods. It will be useful for forced induction but short fall is lower rod ratio, which increases lateral stress. Might want to try this if changing of piston is not adequate.
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Alan,

Where do you rally?

J Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: