Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Air from the oil filler cap...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmcv
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Air from the oil filler cap... Reply with quote

Greetings all

I bought my 33 4WD wagon from my brother a few months ago, and I reckon I've had the most fun in this car since I owned a Mazda R100. I can't believe how hard they go around corners. I feel lucky to have been introduced to the Alfa Club!

Anyway, I was hoping for some pointers. As the subject line says, if I take the oil filler cap off while it's idling, there is a significant amount of air coming out at me. The air disappears when you rev the engine. If it wasn't for the spark plug leads lying over the top of the cap, it would probably rattle itself off at idle....

Can anyone give me some pointers? The car seems to leak more oil than burn oil, and as far as I can tell it doesn't blow smoke. I have to top up the oil about once every three weeks. Isn't it an amazing feat of engineering that no matter where the oil leak is on a boxer, it always ends up on the exhaust....

Regards

Paul.
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You can check if camshaft bushing are leaking. You should see oil just behind the belt cover and covering bottom par of the engine.

Another place where it can leak is between engine and gearbox, just behind the flywheel (main end bushing). You should see oil leaking there and cover the gearbox bottom.

Those 2 places can be very oily if leak is important. Normally, it should only be dirty by scums of roads but not oily.

Hope this can help,
Ciao
Yvon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: