Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Final drive setting

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Final drive setting Reply with quote

Dear guys, In my country, the Honda 1.6's are almost impossible to be beaten by a 33 on straights. Street cars that is. Their standard final drive is about 4.3. Commonly uprated to even closer ratios. Wheras 33's are commomly found with 3.7 or 3.89 I think 4.1 would be an excellent change to begin with.

I have matched the 35 crown to 9 pinion. Tolerance for gear is marginally more snug fit. Hopefully the result will be good. This is a standard ratio for some very rare bower alfas actually.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine had fitted 1.7 8v boxer into his S2 1.5 4c 4x4 SW, used same 4c carbs.
That 33 runned through gears like crazy, it was slightly faster then 1.7 16v chiped, up to 105km/h or should I say by the time I was hitting 3rd gear he was in 4th Smile But After that we would just go away.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On specs, the 1.7 8v carb runs on 3.7 final drive. I dismatled one yesterday and counted it. 10/35. That's where I got the 35 crown on. Bases on specs, doesn't the 16v have a closer ratio?
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my memory:
that S2 1.5 4c had to engage 3rd around 100km/h
16v had to engage it around 115km/h
Problem here is that 8v had rpm limit at around 6250, while 16v was 500rpm higher.
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Serpent33

Useful to know that your 1.7 had a 10/35 diff ratio. I am almost sure that mine is 10/37.

According to this Link http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/gearbox.htm the S3 16v should be 9/35. I found somewhere (dont know where) a reference to the 33 Series 1 1500 single carb having an 11/39 final drive diff ratio. May be worth hunting for if you can get the Crown and pionions to mesh properly.

I already posted on the maintenance forum. Good luck with the meshing.

John
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's kindda interesting. Actually even 10/35 was found stamped at the crown wheel.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 11/39 comes standard in the S1 1.5 and 1.5 QO. 1.3 S1 is 9/35. This is as stated in the S1 catalogue. I have the S1 but I suspect gearbox had been changed before.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: