Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

distributor

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: distributor Reply with quote

I've just rebuilt my engine (1.7 8v / sprint QV) and need to clean up and perhaps recondition the distributor (it's a mess!). Can I get a new aftermarket one without the vacuum advance? and would this be possible / worth it?

Also what is the redline point on the tacho? I'm putting it into a porsche 550 spyder replica I'm building and have no original gauges anymore for reference.

Lastly, spark plugs. I've read mixed reviews, which are likely to be the best for quick open road driving (and available in uk)?

Thanks for your help
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugs, Golden Lodge, get them from justsuds.com. Redline starts 5.5K(orange line) hits properly on 6.2K Finishes 8K.

Without the vaccum advance (unless u have electronic ECU) you will loose power and fuel economy.

What would be wrong with a 2nd hand one rather than aftermakret??
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary. I got most of the engine parts from the local Alfa dealership spares dept so I'm sure justsuds would be less expensive! I'll give them a call re other parts too.

Hadn't thought about a second hand distributor, I''l probably just service and clean the old one. I know to improve the performance on flat 4 VW engines they use an aftermarket bosch 009 distributor (with machanical advance?) so I thought there might be something similar for the Alfa bowers - but I don't really understand the principle so I'll stick with the one I've got.

Thanks again, Richard
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed your point as far as distributors go. I have never heard of anyone using a racing distributor set-up on the carbed 8v. Whether this is because there is little to be gained by fitting a performance one (i.e standard guise 'good') or if it's just an avenue that hasn't been explored(to my limited knowledge). All I know is that carbs if set up nice, for power, are something well worth paying top bucks for.
vasserspiel
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had to rebuild the wiring going from the pulse generators to the little bosche ic box . The wiring inside the distributer was like "fairy floss" - hard to understand how any pulses were getting through at all. My distributer has two pulse generators and these connect with one wire as common to a 3 point plug at the end of a short shielded cable. I though i remebered the wires that had to be common and seperate, but reassembling find that setting it all up as cylinder 1 firing on Top "T" mark on the pully I just get backfires out of the carbies (ouch)

Has anyone a circuit of the twin pulse solenoid circuit from the distributer ?
I'm sure that each solenoid (stator) must be wired the same for the pulse to be of the same polarity, but what polarity will the ic circuit expect for the pulse to be - perhaps thats where i have rewired wrong and need a circuit.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: