Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7 16v & 8v engine weights?????

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: 1.7 16v & 8v engine weights????? Reply with quote

can anyone out there tell me the weight of a 16v and 8v 1.7 engine?......or the single weight of a 8v and a 16v head would do.......I need to know this info before I commit to buying either engine.......as my engine is hanging out the rear on a beetle gearbox of a kit car, so if the 16v is say 20Kg heavier than the 8v, that makes it bad news for.......any info much appreciated

cheers

Knighty
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(warning..not helpful sorry..)
turn the gearbox up the other way and mid mount the engine.. sorted Very Happy

sorry.. i'll get my coat.

L.
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw such a conversion in a Hillman Imp. He had also chopped the roof off. Think the engine was an 8 valve. But as suggested make it mid mounted; that's how it is in my Clan Clover (and you get a five speed box).

Richard
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

From my experience of carrying a 16v engine complete with ancillaries I would say it is 'pretty heavy'.

This may not be useful information.
knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: 16v Reply with quote

thats my concern that the 16v is much heavier.....possibly by 20Kg, but I'm guessing.......even the single weight of a 16v and 8v head would probably do, as I already know the weight of a 1.5 sud engine.......which will be very close to the 1.7 8v.......please someone help me!!!!!
serpent-33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both heads at home. I'll check for you and do check next week. Or someone else...
knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: weights Reply with quote

serpent - you are a god!......please make sure you include all the cam shafts on each 8v and 16v head that you weigh.......just so I dont get the maths wrong!.....please clearly state if an individual or x2 weight

cheers

Knighty
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies my friend. Hope it isn't too late. I went to dig the heads as soon as I read this.

12.5kg for single 16v head with cams,valve assembly, no sprocket

3 kg for single 8v head with valve assembly without cams. I estimate another 2-3 kg for cam and housing so it's about 6kg.

all done on bathroom scale. My apologies again.
knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: head Reply with quote

nice one serpant......so its about 12Kg totat difference between an 8v and a 16v.......sounds about right
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be even less. My car shows no difference in height since engine transplant.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about car's front height it' would be virtually not possible to see with a 12 kg difference. Imagine a 12 kg toddler sitting on the car. Furthermore the 12 kg is distributed equally to both sides.
knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: weight Reply with quote

my engine is in a beach buggy, rear mounted on a beetle gearbox. hence, more weight on the rear is less on the front!......but 12Kg should be OK.
KitCarLasse
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Knight my kitcar has a 16v engine its about 128 kg, my old kitcar had a 1,5 8v at is were 104 kg heavy..... You can easly make the weight function at your kitcar feks put the gastank in the front of the vw chassis...... anayway i know guys wich dries with porsche 6 cyl and rover v8 at a beetle so it can be done... but yo are right about the weight.... In my opinion you schould pic a motor under 135 kg maximum......

This link is to the vw net site with alfa+other engines in VW's kitcars etc :

http://vwnettet.dk/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=69
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound a bit left field but the drive shafts have universal joints, or CV joints in the case of a front wheel drive set up. It should be possible to offset the wheels towards the back in a rear engine configuration so the engine and gearbox weight is further forward. If the axles can articulate in a vertical plane there should be no reason why they should not articulate in a horizontal plane as well. You may have to limit the offset depending on the type of universal joint but front wheel drive CV joints allow a lot of displacement from straight - think about steering angles.

I don't know if this will create any torque reactions but if your suspension pick-ups are reasonably solid I would not expect any serious problem.

All the best
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: