Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

8V and 16V bottom ends

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: 8V and 16V bottom ends Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been messing about with an engine that I have, I had thought that it was 16V internals in an 8V block with 8V heads, however, I have come to the conclusion that it is a 16V block with 8V end plate and heads.

What I would like to know is what is the difference between an 8V and a 16V block, there appears to be an extra oilway but is there anything else? What are the implications of fitting 8V heads to a 16V block, increased CR (there are signs of pre-ignition) change in valve clearance etc? The pistons have been machined to give clearance for the very large valves fitted to the heads.

I would be happy to post some pics if anyone thinks that they can help. The bottom end is lunched and the block is overbored. I need to decide whether to swap the entire block or just the rods and crank.

Many thanks
Chris
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it help if I gave more info?

I have just finished removing the rods and pistons from my spare 16V block.

The bearings all look good so I can either use that complete block and bottom end and have that set of pistons (standard size) machined to accept the 8V heads or I can swap the rods and crank into the overbored block.

I think that I may be better to have the pistons machined to match the oversize ones (8V clearance to tops) and use the whole block. That way I can keep the overbored block and pistons for later use.

Does the 16V bock require any machining or parts to accept the 8V heads, deck height, oil pump etc, head gasket (8 or 16V)?

Regards
Chris
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: