Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Gearbox linkage

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Gearbox linkage Reply with quote

Hello from Greece,

Unfortunately yesterday morning my Alfa didnot wake up in good mood. About 4 kms from home the gearbox linkage failed and the lever was rendered inoperative with 2nd or 3rd gear engaged (I wasnot driving, my grandfather did).
This story as far as I know is common in S3 models and especially cat ones.
In fact s1 & s2 and early s3 cars follow the traditional linkage method which not fails BUT all other s3 cars follow the pattend where a small rubber boot (around 4 cm) and a lock ring hold in place the linkage comming from gearbox and lever.What happens is that oil eats away rubber as years go by with the above result.
This has happened in 1995 then 2000 and finally yesterday just 300 kms before servicing the car and having in mind to tell the mechanic to replace this stuff preventively!!!!!!; Actually the Italian car didnot follow my plans... she has a mind of her own...

We got the car to a local garage (with slight difficulty), the mechanic placed it on lift and fortunatelly I had inside the car the spare parts so replacing it was easy.
Now the lever feels very robust and much more precise (till it fails again!)

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Tks.

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep multiple times. The alternate solution is to drill a hole in the shaft where the clip goes and fit a split pin.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum