Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Rear axle support point rusted away!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Rear axle support point rusted away! Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I just discovered a serious problem on my 33 1.7 i.e. ('92) after recognizing a knocking sound coming from the back of the car.
The body support point of the upper right (drivers view) rear axle "guiding strut" has apparently rusted away. The bolt that is supposed to connect the strut to the chassis now can move freely by about 1-2 cm!

Two questions:

1) Can i continue driving the car until I find a feasible solution for this problem (probably completely remove the upper strut on the right side to avoid further damage to the body), or is this a serious risk ? (I still got the lower one and on the post '90 models both struts connect to the front)

2) Can this damage be repaired with reasonble effort by welding. Has anyone of you ever done this before?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Patrick
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I wouldn't drive the car like that, but it should be repairable (depending on local laws)

All the best

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this before!
My brothers series 1 33 had ripped the strut out of the chassis, a combination of fatique and a small amount of rust seemed to be the cause. These struts are actually know to break! Shocked
Keith is right, you will need a qualified person to repair this as it is classed as a modification to the chassis. Well not so much qualified but a certified person.

Good luck,

Matt
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: