Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

rear brake disc conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: rear brake disc conversion Reply with quote

Hi!

I've managed to get the rear calipers with the mounting bracket for the 33. I now have classic drums on the rear brakes. Do I need anything else to do the conversion?

Thanks!
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich B is the man to answer this one!

He has done the conversion.

Bob
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Someone earlier on mentioned the cable - handbrake - as they are different. Try Holland as they were fitted to rear disk cars there and are more used to dealing with this type of part.

I did a similar thing for some Renault parts recently as you can get parts at euro prices for what the UK wants to charge in pounds. Most people in Holland speak good english too.

E.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

You will need also the rear hubs (or if you can find a complete rear axle).

As already mentioned you will also need, the handbrake cables.

My opinion on this conversion, is a bit disapointing. The rear drums, are very efective. The problem with 33 brakes are the front ones...

The only good point, in doing this conversion, is that maintenance jobs are a lot easier on discs than are on drums...
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually quite confused about the discs vs drums debate!

What's wrong with drums - as long as they can lock the wheels? Why would you require MORE braking?

Bob
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with drums - as long as they can lock the wheels? Why would you require MORE braking?

Exactly... That`s exacly my point of view...

In a front wheel drive car, the rear brakes, are not very important. The pressure they get to do their job is very low, and for that matter, the drums are more than acceptable...
The frot brakes, however, have all the "dirty job", of slowing the car down.

Its more effective to upgrade these, than, converting the rear to discs.
My 16v, has rear discs (all 16v sold here, were eqquiped with ABS), and the only advantage in having them, is that the maintenance jobs are a lot easier (just change the pads and go)

All the best
P.Camilo
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, resident rear disc conversion expert(!) here. The reasons I did my conversion were that 33 brakes are crap and after uprating the front ones I still wasn't satisfied. I figured that all high performance cars have discs all round and therefore discs must provide better stopping power. I used a Tarox fast road set up with the Strada (fast road) pads and 40groove (G88) discs and found that the braking was very much improved - the front ones still fade when they get hot though so will need further upgrade. You also need to watch that the front to rear bias is set correctly - if you have too much on the rear as I did to start with, the rear end can try to overtake the front!!

The parts you need to do the conversion are as Bellamachinna says, either a whole rear axle from an ABS equipped car, or as you already have some parts you'll need hubs and what are described as "steering knuckles" on my parts disc (I'll find the part number if you need it). You'll obviously need discs and calipers too plus disc splash guards, handbrake cables plus various bolts and screws. I wanted to get some new splash guards recently and found that they are discontinued so maybe alot of the other parts you need may be too.

I haven't had this confirmed but parts from a 155 should fit and should still be available as they made them up to about 1998 - the numbers are as follows:
155 rear discs (part no 60576335)
stub axles (part no 60557214 and 60552215)
bearings x2 (part no 60557219).
plus calipers (haven't yet looked up the numbers but could if you need them.

If you can get the parts for reasonable money then I'd say its money well spent (discs also look so much better than drums!). The best places to try for parts would be Holland or Germany as they love 33s there and have loads plus they speak English.

Hope that helps - if you need more information just ask

Rich
neo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok!

Thanks!

I think that the parts won't be a problem since I'm very near Italy Smile.
Rees Cees
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you are right. don't put on disks on the rear for a normal streetcar. it is no use to do that. only on a racecar it is better because you don't want to block the rear brakes.

I use on my racer rear calipers of a Sud and the front disks of a 33 1300.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum