Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

P4 pilots

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patriq Backlund

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: P4 pilots Reply with quote

I've recently bought a 33 SW Q4 1993 . I drove a 33 SW 4x4 -89 earlier. I'm just wondering, are all P4 jerky and "jumps" around tight corners ? I experience something that reminds me very much of when I by mistake drove my 4x4 on asfalt with 4x4 engaged and took tight corners.

Or is there something wrong in my differential ? I also have a noice, mostly bearly audiable but sometimes very clear, that reminds of something like brakes that do not release interely. Only it isn't the brakes, that I know. Usually I only hear it if I fold my rear seats and listen for it intentionally. But sometimes the noice is heard over all other sounds in the car. It comes from the rear of the car. Could it be the roatating mass ? Differential, or what ?

Sincerely,
Patriq Backlund, Norway.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They should not jump around, although they doo seem more prone to jump sideway on a bump when cornering hard. It is the viscous coupling that allows the front and rear wheels to turn at slightly different speeds. That is a large cylinder under the car just behind the gearchange. Check it is there and someone hasnt taken it out and replces it with a swtichable 4x4 prop shaft.

Suspect your noise is either a diff bearing or a wheel bearing. Without being there to hear it I cannot really say whether it is worth worrying about

All the best

Keith
Patriq Backlund

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Yes, the viscous is there alright.
It doesn't really jump, but there are "knocks" when f.ex. manouvering in a parking lot.
I've recently had a new bearing mounted on one side rear and the other side works just fine as well. That means I'm suspecting the differential.

Every once in a while the '4x4' light lights up in the panel whilst driving. And sometimes it goes of again whilst driving. But this doesn't seems connected in any way with the noice from the rear.

I'm planning to dismantel the dif. later this fall.

But basically with this post I was just curious if the P4 should always be supersmoth, no matter how hard the steering wheel is turned or if it is common with the "knocks" or "thrusts" that I'm experiencing?

Sincerely,
/Patriq Backlund - Norway
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The P4 often has thumps at low speed through the floor. The problem is the viscous coupling which tries to only allow a small variation in the speed of the front and rear wheels. On a tight corner the front wheels have to turn a fair bit faster than the rear wheels, and the viscous coupling jumps around in its mounts as it tries to cope

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum