Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Cam hardness after reprofile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Cam hardness after reprofile Reply with quote

Was wondering any of you have experience that may share. If the lobe at 0 lift is grinded off, will the cams face any problems? Since the grinded off part is where there is tappet clearance and the chrome hardened part when lift occurs is intact.

Thanks for any imputs.
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, any cam company will re-harden a reprofiled cam if thats what your worried about.
there are however issues with reprofiled cams for boxers.

Adie Hawkins(ahmotorsports) who has probably seen more tuned boxers than all the members of this forum put together says that in the 8v engine they cause premature wear of the cam carrier.

In 16v engines the lobe base circle diameter is only 1mm bigger than the bearing journal so there isn't enough material to remove without the cam follower hitting the bearing journal.

there are companys who will weld the original cast iron cams and then grind them but the cost for this usually is not much different to the cost of new steel cams.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the reply. There goes my budget modification. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: