Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

reverse acting like 1st gear

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: reverse acting like 1st gear Reply with quote

Something very very strange just happened. I put the gear in reverse and instead of going back, i started going forward!!!!????!!!!!! How is this possible??????????? It wasnt in 4th, for sure, and i was on an uphill!! So logically i should have started going down even without gas. BUT THE CAR WENT FORWARD!!!!!!It seemed like i was in 1st gear!!! Now how the hell is that possible???or is it possible at all??am i just going crazy??
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mk 33? I know on the Mk1&2 if the bushes are worn reverse can be difficult to select you get 4th instead as can 5th.

If u pull (on a rhd car) hard across when engaging reverse and get it, it's the bushes otherwise OUCH!! new box time.

If it is the bushes as a short/long term fix stick a washer on the bolt on the left hand inside of the fork (you will see what I mean when u remove the gaiter) so it gives extra left hand horizontal movement.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but the problem is i was on an uphill, so on 4th te car would logically die out...but mine just started going up like it was on 1st!!!!!!thats the thing troubling me
Andricus vdW, S Africa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Gearbox trouble Reply with quote

Perhaps you are not quite mad.

I hope that the following might lead you to something. Unfortunately my copy of the official manual is stored My 1985 Alfa 33 was just out of warrenty when the gearbox started to play up, engaging both first and reverse gears simultaneously. Fortunately nothing gave way, and it was an intermittent problem. So out came the gearbox, only to find that the problem could have been fixed by only removing the gearbox sump and doing a minor adjustment! Look for a screw with a spring and ball bearing behind it. The tension on the spring pushes the ball bearing into a notch, making sure the 'box stays in gear. Make sure the groove in the screw matches up with the mark in the allow casing. It is kept in position by tapping the casing with a chisel. I don't know quite how it works, but it just seems to me your problem may be related.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum