Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Forgotten how tricky 16v plugs were.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Forgotten how tricky 16v plugs were. Reply with quote

Hi,

Serviced the 33 today - mobil 1, AR oil filter, fuel filter and new AR boxed (NGK platinum) plugs, bought ages ago on ebay for an Ayrton (tenner).

The old plugs only had about 20,000 miles on them, but looked a bit grotty.

I'd forgotten how evil the nsr plug is. Spent about half an hour on this blighter alone! Worked facing the car, facing away with hands stuck down behind me, one hand, two hands......

Bit sore now.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever took off the starter motor from a V6 75? The dealers advice was " Go to hospital, have both arms broken in several places, Maybe just maybe you'll get it off before it rots to pieces Shocked Shocked " Eventauly took me 7hrs on the Saturday to get it off and 4 on the Sunday to get it on. Evil or Very Mad
Going to be fitting a 16V into my 33 so I 'll make sure that its got new plugs before it goes in. Cool
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found best way to get plugs out is with quarter inch ratchet with universal joint with plug socket - exactly the right length and easyish to get on. Can get all four plugs reasonably easily.
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsfruitbat wrote:

Going to be fitting a 16V into my 33 so I 'll make sure that its got new plugs before it goes in.

Woth doing the clutch slave too. 3 minute job with engine out, and an absolute stinker with it in!

John
baldy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: alfa tools Reply with quote

Alfa suplied a rachet for this in the tool kit of the 16v in the boot.I only found this out my self after strugling for a couple of hours. I came across one on ebay takes 20mins to do all four plugs with this tool!! lee
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst slave cylinder I ever did was on a Sprint. Took about three hrs to get the b Embarassed d thing out and about 10mins to fit the new one. Will fit one though just in case Wink
Ta
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsfruitbat wrote:
Worst slave cylinder I ever did was on a Sprint. Took about three hrs to get the b Embarassed d thing out and about 10mins to fit the new one. Will fit one though just in case Wink
Ta

I think the fella who bought my old sprint had a harder time of it Smile 6 hours we was outside my house and when he left it was because he gave up and the thing was only holding the slave in was a trolley jack handle wedged betwween it and the top of the rad! lasted the 120 miles home though
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

respect Cool Cool
stedee
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tell you what is real fun - taking the cam covers off - i had to undo all the engine mounts so i could push the engine over and it was still a b#### - makes changing plugs seem easy.
aforalfa
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisC wrote:
rsfruitbat wrote:
Ta

I think the fella who bought my old sprint had a harder time of it Smile 6 hours we was outside my house and when he left it was because he gave up and the thing was only holding the slave in was a trolley jack handle wedged betwween it and the top of the rad! lasted the 120 miles home though

on ours, the opening part of the circlip is facing the bellhousing Evil or Very Mad

so it's being left to leak every now and then till i get round to doin the clutch Rolling Eyes
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgotten how tricky 16v plugs were. Reply with quote

john 33_16v wrote:
I'd forgotten how evil the nsr plug is. Spent about half an hour on this blighter alone! Worked facing the car, facing away with hands stuck down behind me, one hand, two hands......

Easiest way for me to do the plugs is to lay on top of the engine (i.e. stand on OS and lay across the engine to do NS plugs).
Toad
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Forgotten how tricky 16v plugs were. Reply with quote

mt wrote:
john 33_16v wrote:

Easiest way for me to do the plugs is to lay on top of the engine (i.e. stand on OS and lay across the engine to do NS plugs).

Now there's loving your car..... And then there's this.... you should be ashamed of your self young man... Do that sort of thing in public
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Forgotten how tricky 16v plugs were. Reply with quote

Toad wrote:

Now there's loving your car..... And then there's this.... you should be ashamed of your self young man... Do that sort of thing in public

Do you remember some years ago a story that made the papers about a young man who was in love with, and obsessed by his car - an Austin Metro Confused . I think he got done for spannering one off over the car by the rozzers!

John
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have seen me the other day, i was standing on the engine trying to undo the gearbox engine mount. How tight FT, did it though.
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgotten how tricky 16v plugs were. Reply with quote

Toad wrote:
mt wrote:
john 33_16v wrote:

You're just impressed i can reach Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum