Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

RPM counter. finito

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: RPM counter. finito Reply with quote

while trying to fix my in-op horn (elecy contacts problem earth probs etc)
I took off the engin bay battery heavy duty earth connection (the one that bolts to engine bay kinda where bonnet latch is in the battery-and other gubbins sub bay type place ((nope right a bit, yep there, thats it)) un bolted it (all salted up n elecy corrosion) cleaned and brighted up with wetdry. replaced. tightened.

now start engine...(vrumm) test horn. (Whaawooogahh-Ohhhh-ha.. well actually it was more of a standard beep, i digress.)

just noticed RPM counter dead as dodo.? even trusty tapp tapp on rpm counter (like one sees in the films - but usually petrol gagues when running low in middle of mexico or something..) this only resulted in a tempory flicker of the needle.

any ideas.??????????

am determined to get alfa back to mot bay. the honda is tooooooo boring to drive. if it gets through mot with minimum agrivation i may splash out 40quid and get it tuned properly! would welcome 25+mpg . current 20mpg v costly and farty to drive.

Jonathan
(experiencing all alfa faults at once i think)
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi check the wire on the coil,there should be three of them.one is for the rev counter.think it's one of the two white one's.i had the same problem.hope that help's john
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: speedo , rpm Reply with quote

Thanks#
i cleaned up the four spade contacts on coil..
but still speedo and rpm both dead? I thaught it was just the rpm, but confirmed speedo also when took car out.

are there any further connections to concider? seems strange as was working before (however the speedo never dropped below 20mph) I cleaned up body earths in getting horn working. but coincidence perhaps.?

horn works well though!! culprit was poor corroded horn mounting plate to car body (which i guess is the earth)
bobbber (not logged in)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Me Too! Reply with quote

Hi guys...

The rev counter on my 1.7IE never drops below 2000 rpm either! Any ideas?
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: speedo , rpm Reply with quote

jobrien389 wrote:
Thanks#
i cleaned up the four spade contacts on coil..
but still speedo and rpm both dead? I thaught it was just the rpm, but confirmed speedo also when took car out.

are there any further connections to concider? seems strange as was working before (however the speedo never dropped below 20mph) I cleaned up body earths in getting horn working. but coincidence perhaps.?

horn works well though!! culprit was poor corroded horn mounting plate to car body (which i guess is the earth)

Hi, as with the speedo,check the cable from gearbox into the engine bay,there will be three wires check them by the brake servo or where it connect's to the back of the dash good luck
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Speedo Rpm.. Reply with quote

I checked wires.. they seem to be intact. nada

Next step..car is going for an outing to Beachy Head.

Twisted Evil
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Given that 2 electronic gauges has stopped working (has anything else in the clocks stopped working?) I would guess that you have disconnected an earth in the clocks, or from the clocks

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: