Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

AFM and Cold Start (16v)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: AFM and Cold Start (16v) Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm back after a long time. In a meantime I had the engine partially rebuilt and a few minor repairs. But .... the new problem is here:

When cold, engine idles fine about 950 rpm, but it can't be reved beyond 3000 rpm. If I insist and press the peddal further, after a long pause (and complete power loss) there are a few explosions and the car suddenly gets all the power it needs. This powerless regime lasts about 2-3 minutes after a cold start and then suddenly everything works fine. I live in Belgrade and the average temperature in Jun is about 30 degrees.

Now, ignition should be fine. Fuel preasure and temp sensor are checked and OK. Injectors have been replaced before cca 10k km. Throttles had been checked and balanced.

Q1 Any tips?

Next thing my mechanic suggests is AFM tuning.

Q2 What is AFM tuning? Is it possible to disassemble the AFM at all? Are there any electrical checks that can be done?

Thanks,
Deki 16v
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had a similar problem with a `90 16v, and the printed circuit board in the air flow meter was the problem, I cleaned the board with electrical contact cleaner and the problem was solved, although I got another second hand afm as this is only a temporary cure apparently.

Lee
Deki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lee,

I wanted to clean the AFM by myself, but I don't know how to open it. Do I just need to take the black plactic from top, or something else?

Thanks, Deki
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To get the top off the AFM you just need to prise it off. I used a sharp knife to cut around it and clear most of the glue first

All the best

Keith
Hamish Brown
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you clean the air flow meter I would make sure you silicon the cover back on to stop any moisture build up (I used a cotton bud to clean mine) worth a try though.
dd (again)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Other causes are: Reply with quote

AFM may not be the cause
The idle acentuator may be gummed up (soak in petrol?)
And all its hoses to connector and body inlets may need checking
- They are prone to air ingress due to poor fitting, almost invisible cracks
- or gumming up due to oil contamination
- if latter do the full monty on the oil breather recycle system
Or bad connections to the sensors - check and clean
If these dont cure it, you will have just spent a little time and little dosh
and may get smoother running engine
-- dd (been there and back)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: